1998 Year in Review

• Members

I dont think it was simply an issue of them being married. Janet was a villian and thats how she worked. She went downhill when they tried to domesticate her. She lost alot of her internal struggle and what was left was an empty shell. She was so out of place and they didnt know what to do with her as she wasnt Janet anymore. She didnt get interesting again until they had her go crazy.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's tricky, because in one way that's what AMC sorely needs (maybe soaps in general now)--a stable, domestic family--and I think that was the goal. But I do agree that making Janet boring wasn't the way to do it--and then the candy cane fiasco--which I think is Carl's fave soap story of all time ;) I was never a huge Laurel fan, but back when it was her and Trevor, that made more sense.

• Members

The thing is, what internal struggle has Janet ever had as a villain? Everything I've ever seen of Janet as a villain has generally been camp and being a plot device. I think the time period when they tried to reform Janet, 95-97/98, was when she was at her most complex. When she went crazy again it went back to the stupid idiot plotting -- I was so busy rolling my eyes at the candy cane and at her conveniently not wanting to borrow money from anyone or tell the truth to anyone that any interesting story features went out the window.

With just a little effort, you could have told so much story with the Dillons, who were all so complex, had such weird pasts, and were played by great actors. James Kiberd, Robin Mattson, even Tommy Michaels and Alexis Manta, were all fine actors.

• Members

Ah yes, I remember Nancy's 80th birthday party they even went to great lengths to bring back Penny Hughes, Donald Hughes, and Ellen Stewart for the occasion. Of course, since Titanic was all the rage at time...It was with this story that lead to the vanishings of Kirk and Sam. They really dropped the ball there, the mystery of their disappearance never solved.

The less said, the better--except never go to work on your wedding day.

Eh I didn't think Maggie going crazy was that bad, at least it gave her something to do besides be boring. James and Sheila were :wub:, especially after Christmas 1997, so really Maggie had no reason to be around.

Spoken way too soon, especially for that last one.

Til the wedding became all about Molly.

• Members

Was Don at Nancy's party? I don't remember that. I just remember Ellen and Penny. I loved when Penny said, "Who ARE all these people?" as that summed up my feelings on that era of ATWT. I wonder if Rosemary ad-libbed that.

I thought Sheila/James worked as a couple, if the show had made the effort. Maggie suddenly being psycho was kind of stupid but B&B has done much worse. Maggie was ruined anyway once they made her good and took her out of the Dylan story.

The best part of the Lily/Holden wedding was Julie and Andy coming back. The last time we ever saw Julie, as later writers turned her into an offcamera mother who spent years fighting illness. I know that's how I always saw Julie...

• Members

I remember being thrilled at seeing Caleb and Julie happily together again at the wedding, I hated how they broke up over Julie's never before seen naughty kids and then later Carly playing mind games. Regarding Julie's illnesses that's why Aaron came back and then later left, I think in '05 they said Julie had terminal cancer. Yikes did they ever mention her after that? The more I think about it I can't remember now if Don was actually there at the sinking or not, I remember him popping in a couple times on Ryder there '96 but nothing afterward. I wonder if the sinking was Patricia Bruder's final ATWT appearance, because I do remember Prinz coming back for Christmas 2000.

Sheila could have worked as on-going villainess with the proper writing but Brad Bell took it too far.

• Members

I lost interest in Caleb/Julie after they cast Graham Winton, but I was glad Julie got a happy ending at least. The whole idea of her raising Aaron, when she had little interest in children, was just an example of writers who didn't know the show's history. Then all this illness she had -- that's not out of character, of course, because anyone can be ill, but how sad and depressing for a fun character. I thought I read that eventually Aaron said she had gotten better, but I don't know.

I don't ever remember seeing Don but then I missed some of 96.

I think Ellen's final appearance was Thanksgiving 1998.

• Members

Kate Collins Janet was pure camp. Robin Mattson's was more complex. Her internal struggle centered around her desire to be wanted and accepted. This was rooted from feelnig inferior to her sister and rejection from her mother. Her love for Amanda also motivated her. RMs Janet was alot more dynamic and wasnt simply all about comedic hijinks. Mind you I did like she and Trevor but in hindsight, it probably would have been best to not give them a happy ending together

• Members

Thats not something that happened till nearly 10 years later, long after the tiem perioud in which we were discussing. After all the mayhem and drama that went on with them in the early 90s, they did get a happy ending with their 1998 wedding. What I said was in context with this SOD 1998 issue. What happened in 2006 is inconsequential to that

I rememebr it involving Mike and Carrie. I beleive they went away together as their relationship started and LeAnn played a role in that story

Archived