1998 Year in Review

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

When Robin first played Janet it was generally more of the silly stories (Jane Cox, drugging Harold, sex with Palmer, planning to blow up a church), although I know Robin probably balanced that out. I really think what gave the character legs was the effort to redeem her. While she and Trevor may or may not have been better off in a relationship, I think the potential was there if the show had even bothered. Instead they were both fired because of budget cuts. My guess is they would have been fired no matter whether they'd been paired up or not, because they were easy targets, and it's not like Trevor had a lot of other things going on, or a lot of other successful pairings (hello Laurel).

• Members

This is the Janet, I'm talking about. She was a fighter and she fought for her place in PV, wanting to be accepted and needing to be a mother to her daughter..She worked best as an outsider and the fire she had inside her was lost when she was domesticated with Trevor. Even with silly storylines, her crazy was never quite like KC's Janet who was written more like a cartoon with not many layers at all. She was supposed to be funny and comedic. RM's Janet was more cunning, manipulative and deceptive. I cant have seen KC's Janet playing the scene from above as tht highlights the difference between the two.

• Members

That was the Janet I was talking about too. The crazy Janet of 94-part of 95 and the candy cane fiasco of 99 or 2000 or whenever wasn't like that. The show could have written her in the way of the above clip even after she was married to Trevor, but they didn't care about making the effort.

Of course, they had actually fired Robin not long after that clip, so clearly AMC was never overly thrilled with any non-crazy Janet.

Archived