• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Sorry to drag up an old conversation thread, but I just found some info:

"August 6, 1999 - David Harbour will portray Officer Shanks starting Tuesday, August 17th. He'll be in scenes with Carly and Molly."

Seems like Harbour started the role on August 17, 1999 (give or take an episode due to scheduling changes, of course).

Edited by Brolden

• Members

The character lost some support in the last decade (partly due to what seemed to be contempt for her from the powers that be - her maternity leave stories were so spiteful), but she was popular most of the time.

For me ATWT lost its foundation for good when MADD and Felicia Menei Behr decided the show should just be an ABC soap. Any identity was gone and never returned.

• Members

I thought Scott was gone before Goutman arrived. MADD is the one that got rid of him. She said he wasn't hot enough. 

MADD and Behr did a lot of damage to ATWT. Behr started on fire by bringing back Holden and ending the horrific Umberto story with a murder mystery. The ratings went back up and they were back in the top 3 soaps. That didn't last long as DeFreitas, Liz Hubbard and Allison Rice were all fired. The stories became very dull and drawn out. Ratings quickly dropped afterwards.

• Members

Yep. This. MADD was the problem.

Not that Goutman didn't suck ass of course ...

like soapsuds said, it was MADD who dumped him. But considering Andy never returned under Goutman it does open the question up ...

Still not sure why they dumped Scott Holroyd for awful one note Roger Howarth.

• Members

DeFreitas was originally let go by Valente. Behr brought him back about two years later. Goutman then made him the heavy to Ben and Denise (I remember the forced attempts by some of the soap press to claim that Andy faking paralysis was clever because John had done it too - ha), and soon after Sheffer arrived, DeFrietas was fired again. Given Sheffer's obsession for "men with balls," I wouldn't be surprised if he felt Andy was too puny and weak so therefore had no place on the canvas compared to his nasty, mushmouthed thugs like Craig and Dusty. And since Goutman didn't give a [!@#$%^&*] about the show's history or anything but his own ego, Andy never came back. 

• Members

Valente was producer before MADD - she fired Valente. DeFrietas then came back, stayed about a year after Behr was fired. She was in charge at P&G through Behr until P&G dumped her around the mid 00s. So she probably did have some involvement in his exit. But he did come back during her tenure as well.

I think Lucy Johnson may have made that quote.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I agree with all of this, but I also felt they basically swapped Andy out for Jake McKinnon and Tom Eplin in terms of story. Andy should have been paired with Molly. He was gone in 2000, so they overlapped a bit but still ... Hogan likely had no use for him. DeFreitas and later Holroyd being dumped always pissed me off.