Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I think Ellen came back that Thanksgiving in 1998... and I think a year or so later, Penny came as a surprise for Nancy.. arranged by Emily.

And I think in late 2000, Lyla came back for a visit.. basically exposing that Katie lied about her being a neglectful mom, etc... which seemed out of character for Lyla when Katie was first introduced.. and I think that was the only way the writers saw to undo that out of character action.. by having it revealed Katie was lying (which made sense since Katie and the truth parted ways a long time ago).

Edited by Soaplovers

• Members

She said that during the Christmas show in 2000. I have that on tape somewhere. They were in a restaurant. I guess they had already done away with Bob and Kim’s house by then. It was the same episode where Lyla made her appearance. Seemed to be the last nod to the past. That may have been Penny’s last appearance unless Nancy’s birthday party came after that. I’m not sure when Nancy’s 80th was. I missed that when it was on originally and it strangely never appears on YouTube or in soap trading circles. I’m thinking that episode was late 90s? Ellen’s last appearance was Thanksgiving 1998 so, if she came to Nancy’s birthday party, I’m guessing it was mid-90s. 

Edited by BillBauer

• Members

Penny made that statement in 1998 at Nancy’s party set on the Valetta, which sank around August. Ellen was present. The episodes in whole or part are definitely on YouTube. This was also.when Kirk and Sam disappeared.

Penny did return in 2000 for a Christmas dinner at the Mona Lisa. Bob, Kim, Lisa, Nancy, and Chris were present. This may have been the final or one of the final times we saw the Mona Lisa set. Bob and Kim’s home was still intact gor several more years and used frequently during Allison/Chris’s storylines and many times that Bob/Kim were shown in general.  It was also used as a set when Colleen Zenk did commercials for Tyson Chicken as Barbara. We would see the kitchen until around late 2005. After that, elements of Bob and Kim’s kitchen became part of Katie’s WOAK set. We would not see Bob and Kim’s living room after 1999, I believe. Even then, its angles had shifted and it had been rearranged, sliced down to a couch in front of a window with a simple foyer (no step or staircase). 

Edited by Eboneece

• Members

And even that one shrank significantly around 2008 (and probably gradually even before then). During that time, ATWT went to permanent standing sets. To accommodate that, sets either disappeared (Lily’s real mansion, the Stewart home) or became visibly smaller (Carjack’s house, Oakdale Memorial, the police station, Al’s, Fashions, the Lakeview, Tom and Margo’s house, Metro).

• Members

Thank you for the dates! I can look for it more easily now. I guess I did see it at some time or another because I clearly remember Penny saying that line but thought I hadn’t seen the birthday party. I thought it was the Christmas episode I have. Thanks for the info!

• Members

Dana Delaney!

Please register in order to view this content

This episode was quite enjoyable, imo.  The cat and mouse interplay between John Dixon and James Stenbeck is very compelling.  It's nice to see Justin Deas (as Tom Hughes) give a performance that isn't hammy.  To see Margo arguing with Lyla and being very much invested in a relationship with James is quite interesting to see.

Those scenes between Brad and Eric Hollister were...uh, interesting.  I was mostly interested in their discussion about Hayley and it was kind of weird to see that Brad was thinking about the possibilities of a relationship with either Lisa or Dee Stewart, two very different women.

Also, I liked this actor who played Rick Ryan.  In the later iteration of Rick, the character was much more obvious as a menace, very oily but this Rick is a bit more complex, almost wears two faces, one that appears earnest but underneath, lies a mercenary.

I would love to see more episodes from these storylines.  The video quality is excellent too, I'm guessing it's from one of the SoapClassics collections.