--The Bob and Lisa marriage and meltdown

--The Dan/Liz/Susan triangle

--The Dan/Kim romance

--The Kim/Bob/Jennifer mess

--The Douglas Cummings saga

BEST ACTOR:

--Larry Brygmann (John Dixon)

LAST GREAT ERA:

--Douglas Marland's reign as head writer, before he became ill (i.e., before the Carolyn Crawford murder mystery)

• Members

This is terrific. WLS put up two more clips of 1979, 1980-era ATWT. Nancy and Joyce, and Nick and Lisa. My first time seeing the Wade bookstore.

Nick seems to be that typical Dobson leading man on ATWT - there's something unlikeable about him. I never knew they tried him with Lisa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsmkyjBsLyY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q1vli8rDlw

• Members

Thanks!!! Love the clips...I have never seen clips of that time.

Boy was Lisa's makeup terrible! And those sets! Damn, if I was a producer at the time I would have had a fire burn through town and build all new sets. I can see how the show seemed creeky and old compared to GH and the ABC shows. Too bad they didnt think that it might not be Nancy and Chris but the sets, lighting, music make up and staging.

I did like that it had an everyday quality still, like Nancy coming home and putting the groceries away (and being confronted by her back from the dead daughter in law.)

Were they chemistry testing Nick and Lisa? I always thought Lisa needed a guy like Nick, but he came off as an ass in this scene. I guess its the Dobson's idea of a real "man." I didn't get the "Well, I know where you come from." and his, "I don't try to hide it." First of all, does having a Greek sounding last name mean you actually CAME from there, and not your parents or grandparents, and is it a big scandal to be Greek?

Nancy and Chris were two tough customers here werent they? Not the sweet grandparents most the shows had..and Nancy later became. I like it though she is quite a change from Bert Bauer..must have freaked the Dobsons out to write for them. I never thought about it as a kid but the Joyce actress is really beautiful! Too bad they wrote her out. Marland would have loved her and I liked her as a thorn in Lisa's side...a kind of Susan Stewart role..inside the "family," but not.

Edited by Mitch

• Members

They should have had the fire get out of control and burn down Nancy and Chris house and I can only imagine what the rest of the sets looked like. Yea, cotton candy hair and the rouge smeared on. I remember the girl who played Betsy at that time had the same thing, two globs of blush on her cheeks. And yea, Nancy's hairstyle and outfit was so dowdy...were they trying to make her look older?

Which makes it so amazing the Joyce actress looks so pretty, despite coming back from the dead and being insane (wasnt she???)

• Members

Yes.

Back from the dead can be effective as a plot device if used sparingly as it was in the 60's and 70's. For some reason once the 80's hit,it became commonplace,

As for the Hughes kitchen,this would have been ready to be retired as Nancy and Chris were cut down in appearances.

I think the kitchen set dates back to the 50's.Am I correct ?- as I recall seeing it in old clips.

When did they stop using the living room set?