ATWT: September 2010 Discussion Thread

• Members

It was definitely much, much better than GL's ending. I thought the GL finale was fine as the final episode of a TV show, but as the final episode of [Alan Berns]Guiiiiiiding Lighttt[/berns]? It was too...too small, too bare, and of course that fit in fine with what Wheeler did over the last year and a half. But it just didn't feel as momentous as it could have been. Yes, Khan. Yes. A pickup truck. I was "whaaa?" too when I saw it.

I liked PSNS's ending, it was very much appropriate for that show. The storybook-like wedding, the way Theresa turned to the screen and all of a sudden there was this half-ass moral to the story about following your passions (which I thought was cheesy as hell, but it was PERFECT in every way for Passions, IMO), the balloons, the guitar riff playing as the cast celebrated, the picture of Timmy, the cheesy rendition of Auld Lang Syne, etc. I loved it. Port Charles...I swear I set my VCR for it, but the tape didn't record and seven years later, here I am, still haven't seen it.

BTW, I think some of yall imagined the globe stopping at the end. It definitely kept on turning...and will, forever.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

"A little known actress"? You obviously don't know your soap history, Mitch. Veleka Gray was a contract player in more soaps than any actress in soap history. Her career was launched in daytime after a cameo in a film called "I Love My Wife" with Elliott Gould and a guest star role on "The Mod Squad" playing opposite Michael Cole. She replaced Donna Mills as the lead character of Laura Elliott on "Love Is A Many Splendored Thing" in 1970 and worked as a leading actress for fifteen years. She was chosen as a Blue Ribbon Panelist, aka judge, for the National Emmys for fifteen years in a row and knows why Susan Lucci didn't win for so many years. In addition to her work on a nearly daily basis on her soaps, she starred on Broadway in two productions and did literally hundreds of commercials for television and radio. AND she wrote features for other magazines besides her column and the feature articles she wrote for six years for "Soap Opera Digest."

She was replaced on LIAMST because a certain producer didn't like her and stabbed her in the back. No, not Conboy. And it happened again on "As The World Turns" because of a dispute about the number of lines she got over what Don Hastings got. (She got more.) Plus Hastings was eager to get his new bride to play opposite him in the role of Lyla and be kissing her, not the voluptuous Gray. In all her other roles, she was Most Valuable Player and worked continuously after "How To Survive A Marriage," going from soap to soap without any breaks because she is a great actress and she's reliable. She could learn her lines by reading her scripts twice, and once had a scene with Larry Bryggman that was over 100 pages that she had to learn overnight.

Ms. Gray was also the only actress to play two roles on the same soap at the same time who were not connected story-wise in any way. That was as Ruby Collins and Dr. Sharon Reaves on "Y & R" as a result of a bet she made with the executive producer, Wes Kenney.

She did a lot of "firsts" on the air, but I'm only going to mention that one.

As far as her personal history, Ms. Gray's father was a doctor, and she went to private schools and colleges. But she is as down-to-earth and nice as anyone you will ever meet.

I've been a fan of Ms. Gray for years and finally met her in New Orleans and had a chance to speak with her. She is a radiant, kind, and gracious lady who is still working, except now in film. She is also training Louisiana and Mississippi actors to work in film.

If anyone has a specific question for her, I'll see if I can get it answered. No promises, but I will try.

• Members

What I heard was that Parker allowed Faith to drive, and they got pulled over for speeding. He tries taking the blame for her, and somehow Jack and Carly find out and see the parallels between their relationship and the kids'. I think they were SOC spoilers. I'm not exactly sure what the Ro/Craig/Johnny one was about.

• Members

For me the main difference between the ATWT and GL endings was emotion.

GL's was very cheap and kind of empty at times but from the start, where they had all the various openings, to the little scenes like Fletcher returning to leave with Alex and Bill saying, "I miss Ben," to that montage at the end with that stupid music I still have in my head ("We belong together..."), I felt a lot of emotions.

Here, I did feel emotion, but I also felt the producers sticking their fingers on the lens. From the narration, which, while I love Don Hastings and Bob, I thought was very generic and somewhat obtrusive (why not have him talk about people and places he'd known?), to the very generic "inspirational" music drowning out scenes as the episode went on, I felt like some of it was overproduced and disconnected.

The scenes I did enjoy and was moved by:

Carly telling Jack "We're normal", and her being in disbelief.

The last goodbye between Bob, Kim, and Susan. I'm glad they had that scene as it showed how Bob and Susan will always have a bond and how Kim is a gracious person who has moved on from her rivalry with Susan.

Emily telling Susan they would go have a soda.

Lucinda and John one last time, and Lisa's surprise followed by acceptance

The last scene with Bob and Kim, and Bob looking at his desk plate.

Barbara letting Paul go and having her last dance with Henry

Emily and Barbara coming to an understanding, which was a beautifully played moment by KMH

Otherwise it was a lot of relationships I feel no connection with.

I had mixed feelings on Margo and Tom, because I liked their last scene talking about how the house being empty meant they could have more sex, but Margo's hysteria over Casey leaving was kind of disturbing to watch. This character was so stripped of most of what had made her unique and I just didn't really recognize her by the end.

So I thought it was a good finale, and I'm glad that they gave happy endings and mature, evolved endings to some of my favorites, like Barbara and Lucinda, I had given up on ever being able to have lives of their own.

But in terms of actually being emotionally involved, I would say GL's was the one I was most affected by.

• Members

The scenes were mostly about Faith and Parker and how they went joyriding and were picked up by the police and how they were the new Jack and Carly. Then at the end she told Parker she'd be good and he said she should be bad sometimes, because otherwise it would get boring. Then he kissed her on the cheek. A lot of not very good acting, aside from the last scene, which was nice.

Craig and Johnny ran into Rosanna at Al's, and Craig kept trying with Rosanna, who would rebuff him. He said she was the only person he had in town. After this he was convinced to ask Lily's forgiveness, which she agreed to. He was amazed that all he had to do was ask and that she had no ulterior motive. If any scene ever told me just how much Goutman and Passanante never understood Craig, it was this one. The Craig who went through so much in the 80s with Betsy, and ultimately became her most trusted friend, and had to wait for Sierra to get over his huge betrayals of her would never take a "Who? What?" attitude towards forgiveness. ANYWAY, Craig chased after Rosanna a bit more and she told him he should give up, but the smile on her face as she walked away suggested it was only a matter of time.

I have always had a soft spot for Cady's Rosanna so I'm glad that she had a few little scenes at the end.

• Members

Glad they were edited out...I couldnt stand Craig played by JL. Goutman and Pissy didnt understand any of the charcters period!

Meg is still in the nutfarm....lol....Emma is with her at Iva's. I would have liked Emma to return too but her absents was explained a few months ago.

Archived