ATWT: September 2010 Discussion Thread

• Members

I was OK with Barbara giving up her company because I don't think Barbara's full heart has ever been in business (and frankly I had forgotten she still had a company), but I do think they should have had Lucinda tell everyone she was done, then, when she was alone, make a call about a new business venture. Business is Lucinda's lifeblood and nothing will change that.

PJ, you do have a point about false sentimentality. I didn't buy the stuff where everyone suddenly liked Alan (I would have rather seen Amanda and Alan Michael return and make some peace with him if they could, to continue the theme of Phillip trying to do the same).

I was hoping that Luke's ending would be Reid staying in Oakdale as the new chief of staff and Luke leaving for Europe or somewhere to find himself. Lily did the same when she was a few years older than Luke. Luke still would have been alone but it wouldn't have been in misery. I just don't see any real reason Reid had to die. Reid had such potential as a character for the long term, and instead he was too easily pushed into the sexless stories with Luke and dying for Chris. I think Reid living and sparring with John Dixon over the last scenes at the hospital would have shown life goes on, old blood becomes new blood.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I could have sworn I heard Barbara mention something about her and Henry opening/running a club shortly before Donna Summer made her cameo appearance (I wonder if she knows she was a part of ATWT's last episode). I interpreted the stuff with her and Paul to be them both closing the book on BRO and continuing on.

Lily as the head honcho at Worldwide. Surrrrre. And then I read a post where "Lucinda shoulda let Luke run Worldwide." The hell? No! She should have not! I think the finale made TPTB realize that they really haven't given Luke any purpose/dream/goal of his own...at all, and in Van's interview with Fairman, he touches on this. Luke used to be an aspiring writer way back when he worked at WOAK (remember, his writing and Noah's directing was supposed to be their "thang" -- ugh, whatever). A good way to show some kind of ray of light on his ending without it being about a relationship would have been a throwaway line about "a new idea I've been working on...sort of a soap opera about a lawyer, his wife, and their grown children."

But back to Lucinda...I was under the impression most of the time that she and John were gonna do the world traveling thing, but once it became clear they were in Oakdale for good, I could just imagine Lucinda "officially" giving the reins over to Lily but still being the one and only string-puller there.

• Members

Well in spanish telenovelas(soaps) the finale almost always ends up with everyone happy. I don't think we wanted a big cliffhanger a la Dallas with JR shooting himself. It was be cruel not to have some sort of payoff or happy ending. I'm not saying I wouldn't have minded a cliffhanger or two but what's the point if it wont be resolved.

• Members

I didn't know Barbara still had BRO. I agree about Reid. He shouldn't have been killed off. I'd rather Chris had died...they didnt know what to do with the character anyways. Bob and Kim so devasted leave Oakdale to live with their other children...Andy, Frannie and Sabrina.

Archived