DAYS: Contract Male Role

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

With all due respect, forget Michael T. Weiss. Not that the man isn't a good actor, or that he hasn't aged well over the years. IMO, though, DAYS is much better off luring back Wesley Eure, who is definitely old enough to play father to GV's Jeremy.

For one thing, we know he can "play straight," because he did it before (and anyone who says they can't see him as a "straight man" now that they know he isn't IRL...well, I don't know what to tell you). For another, DAYS needs to right a serious wrong here and bring back someone who, BITD, was a huge fan favorite.

I mean, if we're going to "punish" every actor on DAYS who's gay IRL for being gay (whether "out" or not) by choosing not to have them on the show anymore, then we might as well fire a good two-thirds of the cast right now.

• Members

Exactly. It has nothing to do with anything. Wesley Eure was (from my understanding) very popular as Mike Horton back in the '70's (as well as from his other job on "Land of the Lost"); yet, b/c he happened to be homosexual and "out," TPTB got antsy and cut him from the show. (At least, that's the impression I got from Eure's recent interview on We Love Soaps.) It had nothing to do w/ the level and quality of his performance. Hell, until Mike himself questioned his sexuality (which I thought was a pretty daring storyline for its' time) the issue of "Is he or isn't he?" probably hadn't even viewers' minds - and believe me, his ONS w/ Linda Patterson probably cleared up that issue but quick, too!

Like the sands through the homophobes - I mean, hourglass - so are the Gays - I mean, Days - of Our Lives.

• Members

Good heavens - that was the 70's, and they were functioning with their own codes and understanding. What that has to do with the post-Politically Correct world of 2010 is lost on me.

As for who best played Mike, no matter how impressive an actor was in the 70's, the actors who have played the characters since will be remember much better. I'm of the person persuasion that de-SORASing Michael for Carrie was a huge miscalculation. The Mike/Robin story was groundbreaking in it's day and should be honoured as such.

• Members

Look, bottom line is, he's available, he's age-appropriate (certainly more so than Roark Critchlow!) and he'll probably do daytime again if the deal were right (which is more than I could say about even Michael T. Weiss). So why not ask Wesley Eure to return as Mike Horton (even if it's only on an off-contract/recurring basis)? At the very least, his return might be a feather in DAYS' cap in terms of luring back former viewers to the show. Forget all the other stuff I've mentioned - my major point got lost in there, anyway - and just focus on that.

• Members

You could rehire Eure and still honor the Mike/Robin story. The story isn't diminished just because Michael T. Weiss isn't the one playing Mike anymore. No more than it would be diminished if someone other than Derya Ruggles were to play Robin (which is a very likely possibility, if DAYS were to touch upon that story again w/ a recast Jeremy rebuilding his relationships with his parents).

• Members

True, TTS threw a couple of whoppers at us w/ Jeremy's strange disposition and the "reason" behind it. But you know what? That storyline was so roundly criticized by critics and fans alike, if they were to bring Jeremy back, and not mention TTS or anything revealed to the audience at that time, I think most would overlook it.

• Members

The only time I saw a lot of spark in Cosgrove was his early work as Bill Lewis on GL. He was very very good and genuinely edgy, and I wasn't exactly looking forward to seeing that role recast, since I had been a fan of Bryan Buffinton and the recast after that was a huge dud.

Archived