Advertisers prefer soaps over game shows

• Members

Nope.

Here, our evil cable company is Cox Communications. I pay about $50 a month for internet that "allegedly" moves at 12MBPS(if that's the right way to say it). The internet moved fast enough to stream Free, crystal clear HD content on ABC.com back when the mouse used the Move Network players(*sigh*). I was told that I did not need a cable package of any kind, not even local(which consists of about 19 or 20 channels) or basic cable(which consists of about 50-60 channels, plus local HD content).

But no local news channels, no CNN, no C-SPAN, no ESPN with the package I have.

Hell, in the "basic" package(with 19 or 20 channels), none of those are available.

The thing I am most disgusted with is that Cable companies require people to have basic cable to have HD content. So, basically, people are paying for channels they probably don't watch or need. I have a HUGE problem with that. And I think if, by some stroke of luck, I get a better paying gig, my hard times over the last couple years have taught me that getting cable just to watch Nancy Grace go off on Defense Lawyers, the last few months of SOAPnet, or watch any cable show in HD is simply not worth the extra $20-50 a month I would have to pay for it. I'd rather spend that money on nightlife, entertainment, or a DVD collection.

I think the ONLY thing that appeals to me as a consumer is the idea of Hulu Plus. The only reason why is because(if they offered as a service) I'd love to be able to stream GH in 720p on my TV(via computer), watch other TV programs and movies that I may not have on DVD and do it all for $9.99 a month. I would still have to sit through advertisements, but I'd like to be able to push as much out of my internet connection as possible.

But cable is dead to me and I think as times get more tough economically, most people(especially the younger and more tech savvy) will "cut the cord." My mom came up for a visit and she's up there in age and lives in rural America in a place where cable or DSL internet is still unavailable and she asked me if Hulu was legal. :lol::lol::lol: And she pays for satellite so she can watch her Golden Girls on WeTV and Hallmark Channel.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm done with daytime when WT is over. I'm basically done with it now, just watching on cbs.com for Luke and Reid. I'll watch when John comes back, too. I guess it's going to be between him and Reid for Chief of Staff, which will make for interesting viewing. What I'll never understand is why they didn't bring Scott deFreitas back (I am carefully saying "Scott" rather than "Andy," as someone suggested an Andy recast--bite your tongue--not long ago).

There's going to be a new gay show on HBO called Miraculous Year, but it's only in the pilot stage so far. http://www.afterelton.com/tv/2010/07/miraculous-year-gayest-show-ever. I wish Luke and Reid could move to that show.

Speaking of gay, I watched A Single Man last night. I later read two reviews opining there were ambiguities about George (Colin Firth) and Kenny's (Nicholas Hoult) intentions for each other. I didn't see ambiguity at all. Tons of subtext, but there was no ambiguity about the way they wanted to jump each other's bones.

I don't know what to do with cable. I fear I may have signed up for a two-year subscription without realizing it. I've had the same account number for 11 years, so I don't know if they can hold me to the terms of the supposedly new contract. In any case, there's so little to watch that I'm interested in, especially since everyone on Food Network has to be a clone of either Rachael Ray or Guy Fieri. All that fake, gee-whiz heartiness makes me want to throw up my last meal (red snapper roasted with potatoes, EVOO (which I pronounce differently than Rachael, btw), garlic, and rosemary, if anyone's interested).

I hate the news channels (all of them, not just Fox). Mad Men will soon be here, but other than that, there's nothing I really want to watch until winter, when Southland and Treme will be on again. The thing is, it costs less to buy the DVDs of the shows I really like than pay $150/mo. for cable. And this new digital system means most shows have three different locations, one regular and two HD.

Update: I just downgraded to basic basic cable. With phone and internet, it'll now be $79 instead of $150. I might even sell my new flatscreen, which I've never really taken to.

• Members
Big mistake!

If you can connect your computer to your TV via HDMI cable, do it. Obviously, you won't be able to watch some premium cable stuff online, but there's other stuff you'll be able to.

That sucks that you can't get out of your contract. And $150 a month for cable and internet is outrageous. I guess if people have the money to pay for that, then hell yeah, go for it. But that is just too damn expensive. Even $80 a month for basic, non-HD cable is an utter ripoff, especially considering most of cable these days consists of off-net reruns of network television shows that can be seen five days a week via your local affiliate.

But I wouldn't sell the flatscreen yet.

I'm sure CBS is losing sleep because you're not watching Let's Make a Deal. :ph34r:

• Members

No, I did get out of it. I didn't actually have a contract, since the account dates back to whenever The Sopranos premiered, so they weren't able to tie me down to a contract. The $80 is for Internet ($40), Phone ($30), and BasicBasic Cable ($10), though I may check out a digital antenna, like you've got.

Anyway, is what you're talking about using the flat-screen instead of my monitor? It would take up too much room on my desk. Or can an HDMI cable be long enough to reach from say six feet away? The HDMI would connect to my computer? Do I need a special input on the back of my computer? Could I have both monitors hooked up, and use the desktop the way I normally do, and then watch online TV sitting in my usual TV seat? (My computer and TV setups meet at one corner of my LR.)

• Members

Yes it can. They make multiple lenghts for HDMI cables. I do warn they run kind of high(maybe 50-60 bucks for one). Your flatscreen should also have a connection for a PC too, but if there is anyway you can go from computer to HDMI, then go for it. For me, I have a laptop, so it's relatively easy. My laptop is on a small TV tray and the flatscreen is on what used to be a computer desk which is now an "entertainment center." And when the flatscreen is connected to the laptop it's acts like a dual monitor.

It's just a suggestion, especially if you want to watch TV shows and clips on YouTube or on any other website.

• Members

Hello, again, bellcurve. I now have nothing but the network channels on my TV (basic basic Comcast cable). Was it you who was talking about having a digital antenna or a digital converter box to get the network channels? Could you explain, if it's you who has it, exactly what I need to buy in order to not have cable TV at all?

Thanks.

• Members
If you still have that flatscreen TV, Jay, you don't need to get a digital converter box. Your flatscreen will already have a built-in digital tuner that will obtain OTA HD programming. Do not waste your money on a converter box.

Buy an indoor HD antenna for your place. If you live in a bigger city, I am almost willing to bet that you won't need to spend more than 20 bucks on a standard, indoor antenna that can pick up an HD signal. My antenna was 40 bucks, I live in a rural area and it still didn't make a damn bit of difference in terms of the number of channels I could get.

Did you look into getting an HDMI or PC connection cable for your TV also? I strongly recommend doing that so you can stream content from Hulu, YouTube, and CBS.com and get the most out of your HD viewing experience.

Cut the cord, son! Cut the cord! :)

• Members

That one should work, although I just recommend buying from Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target, RadioShack, etc. If the sucker doesn't work for whatever reason, take it back that day and get another one that will.

Also, check this website too to determine how many signals you can get from your location.

http://www.tvfool.com

Also, check the back of your computer to make sure there is a place for a DVI to HDMI cord on your computer or something similar to it.

Archived