Worst Storylines

• Members

What are the worst storylines in each soap's history?

I'll start:

SuBe: The Rosario Jewels - they tried to keep the momentum from Terror Island and Shockwave going with a low budget mummy movie-esque story. Sent the show on its way to its maker.

One Life: The Santis - Malone tried to re-create some sort of magic by bringing a brand new and never-heard-of side to the Vega family with the Santi's. Dorian got a daughter, Jessica got a husband, and nothing worked.

General Hospital: Dr Asher Thomas - Re-writing history and making AJ more of a villain than before. It didnt make sense whatsoever.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I didn't think the Asher Thomas story was so bad. Yes it was a rewrite but it was sort of entertaining. At one time I would have said Laurelton was the worst GH story, but in recent years there have been quite a few clunkers. One that comes to mind is Ric Lansing trying to drive Sonny crazy and the way he did it was to trick Sonny into buying Emily a dress that I think Lily the dead wife wore when she got killed. And then to make it even more stupid, his motive was he wanted to drive Sonny crazy so he could help him turn his life around. It just made no sense. This was followed up with another story to feature the perpetually dull Rick Hearst: the story about his wife Alexis getting cancer. I don't even know what kind of cancer story this was, but all it was was day after day of people telling each other she had cancer, then mixing and matching to discuss what they just discussed.

Wherever a crappy story pops up Nancy Lee Grahn is sure to be around, and there she was again in the saga of her daughter being Sam. Sam got shot and Alexis decided to play mother hen, but the problem was she changed her mind daily. On friday she would get a cliffhanger of "if you operate on my daughter I will throw you in jail!" and then on Monday they operate and she would say something like "hmm, well ok, I changed my mind...but just this one time!" only to repeat the same hollow threats the following week when they would operate again.

These two, Hearst and Grahn, figured in one terrible story after another as it turned out. He is long gone, and the show is actually superior because of it, and she being ensconced deep on the backburner hasn't hurt the show a bit.

Nothing I guess beats the Eckerts for bad, but that wasn't really a story as much as a plague.

• Members

All My Children: "Desiree, Queen of the Desert." To write out Erica for Susan Lucci's facelift vacation in 2004, they had Erica Kane drunkenly run off to Las Vegas under the alias Desiree DuBuois, where she took the desert by storm as the premiere showgirl... wearing a hideous blonde wig... and nobody knew she was "Erica Kane."

General Hospital: "Dobson the Butler." Alexis loses custody of baby Kristina to Ned after killing Luis Alcazar. She dresses up as a man and gets hired to be the Quartermaine butler to be close to Kristina. Wacky hijinks ensue as Skye and Ned find out they're not cousins and start dating, making Skye very maternal over Kristina... and Big Alice develops a crush on Dobson!

• Members

The Rosario jewels were defiently not the worst on SuBe. I loved that story. Id rank Emily and Sean's romance as one of the worst. Man were they boring

These probably arent the worst in the show's history but rank down there for me

Port Charles - Psychic Espionage.

AMC - Jonthan's romance with Lily complete with him getting the "bad cut out" of him

GH - Text Message Killer

Days - Virtual Garden of Eden

Y&R - Lily's cancer

OLTL - Mitch's most recent return

B&B - Taylor and Rick's romance

• Members

I guess I will avoid some of the obvious choices since those have been discussed many times over the years.

A few other stories which don't get as much notice which either annoyed me enough to still nick at me years later or which I just really hated:

AW. Grant becoming mayor of Bay City. I know it's not real life and they were working very hard to keep Grant around, because he was an easy plot stirrer and because Mark Pinter is such a great actor, but the story was just unbearable. This man was a psycho who never really paid for anything he did. Yet when he ran for mayor all this was forgotten (from killing his own brother to multiple attempts to kill the mother of his son) in favor of some bizarre "ha ha" storyline revolving around his having Joan Rivers as a campaign adviser and like setting Donna up to look like she was sexually harassing young men. And the whole story was for nothing. Being a mayor in a soap town is pointless. If nothing else proved that it was Alex running for mayor on OLTL a few years earlier...one of several stories Michael Malone grafted onto AW from his time at OLTL.

GL. The endless attempts in 1996 to make Dinah Marler into GL's central heroine, capped off in an excruciating and extremely humiliating storyline which involved Roger being drugged into dementia, then given electroshock therapy. And he was the villain of the story! Meanwhile years of Bridget's character growth were casually destroyed so she could degrade herself for Hart, endangering her son and at one point even mucking out stables. And who can forget the wonderful moments which were used to reinforce how ugly Bridget was and how she could never compare to Dinah's beauty? GL was thisclose to being canceled in late 1996 and this story was a big reason why.

OLTL/GH. ANYTHING involving Skye's paternity.

• Members

ATWT- Kasnoff Siblings plus Zoe

B&B- Bridget/Ridge Pairing, Steffi/Rick Pairing, Rick/Phoebe/Constantine

Y&R- Anything associated with Lily, The Art storyline with Brad, Who Killed Carmen, (who cared?), Malcolm's recent return, RAMONA/Victor/Nikki

GL- Santos Family, Time Traveling Reva, Olivia's Lesbian story

• Members

Y&R - The reliquary, Phillip's return, Colleen's death, Lauren/Sarah, anything involving Lane or the Scoobies

B&B - Taylor's resurrection, Brooke/Nick/Bridget, Darla's death, Shane's death, Felicia's resurrection, The Boldface Challenge, Ridget, Bridget/Nick/Katie, pyromaniac Thomas

• Members

Another GL treasure:

Gilly almost sleeping with a man who turned out to be her father (neither of them knew until her mother burst into the bedroom to tell them). This man, Griffin, a civil rights activist, then paying someone to shoot him so that he could use this to try to help advance civil rights.

• Members

DAYS: Melaswen- That is just one of the worst stories in daytime history period.

PSNS: The Transgendered Serial Killer- That sh!t was just a mess, and JER had really lost it by then.

GL: Anything involving San Cristobal, I enjoyed the Santos Family during this time period, and never really got the hate for them. Carmen is love. :wub:

Y&R: Anything that has aired on screen in the past year.

• Members

GH: Anything Jason and Sonny related, Maxie and Spin getting together, Demonizing Ric and AJ to prop up Sonny and Jason, Nik and his three affair stories with Emily, Courtney, and Liz, demonizing Zander and Jax to prop up Nik,

OLTL: Anything related to Antonio, John, and Christian, The whole Spencer storyline.

AMC: Anything Ryan related after Gillian died, David and Dixie having an affair and everything David related that has come since then, Everything related to Krystal

Y&R: Taking Phyllis and Nik's hot affair and turning it into a wuv story that lead to a kid and a marriage, anything Phick related since then, Everything related to Cane and Gloria, and Ryder.

Days: The SORAS'ING of Elivis and anything related to him especially him and Sami.

ETA: I forgot the whole Victor and Mary Jane crap on Y&R that led to Colleen's death and Victor getting Coleen's heart. That cemented my hate for Victor.

Archived