Part of today's AMC will be pre-empted

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A press conference with Obama smack in the middle of the hour could only improve this miserable show. Or OLTL as well, at this point. Or GH.

As for the Gulf Coast, the beltway press will always look for any excuse to draw an equivalency between a Democratic president and George W. Bush, because they've leaned to the right for many years now and adored Bush; to them, he embodied a masculinity and 'everyman' appeal they are insecure about and feel out of touch with - which they are, but in reality, Bush was no example of the everyman. They've been trying to shine up his and the GOP's ruinous image for years and are still hoping to return things to the "neither side is better" meme, which is why every news item is a potential Waterloo/Katrina for Obama.

In reality, from what I understand, there was only so much that could logistically be done at first regarding the spill, and now more steps are being taken, and certainly the company in question must pay and pay dearly. The difference re: Katrina was, back then nobody at the executive level gave a [!@#$%^&*]. They weren't their base; they were the poor. They wanted to play politics regarding federalizing the response, and they were purely and simply incompetent when they could have done much more, much faster. Not so here.

• Members

I'm so confused--are you pro or anti AMC? LOL Anyway, as a huge fan of both, I think OLTL is still in a WTF shambles, and AMC has been largely imrpoved for the past few months. So I wish Obama had pre empted OLTL ;) but it's a moot point

I read that the oil in the water will diminish any hurricanes because the water can't evaporate to the same level. I guess that's a bonus? :S

• Members
That's a very minimal chance, if at all. If I were anywhere near the coast, I would get the hell out of there, fast.

If a hurricane hits the Gulf with all that heavy crude in the ocean, you can bet your sweet ass that it will destroy the properties and businesses along the coast. Even if the crude oil doesn't cover building during the hurricane, there's also the toxic chemicals that could kill plants, animals, and even people on land. BP has been using chemical dispersants to break the oil down. That stuff is so toxic that the EPA warned BP to stop using it, even though they ignored the EPA's warning and continued to use it. The toxic chemicals from that alone could get into the atmosphere and do harm way past the gulf and up into the states(i.e. acid rain).

Why were BP and the Feds initially against allowing news crews and scientists to survey the initial damage and take photos? Why didn't the White House react immediately when they got wind of the oil spill and why did they wait for BP to stop the leak instead of intervening as they do in every other area of our lives?

There's now talk that the plume of oil that they are finding below sea level may indicate that there's more than just one place where the oil is gushing.

Maybe it's the conspiracy theorist in me, but this oil spill is way worse than the media, the Feds, and BP are letting on. I was absolutely livid at how Obama was pointing the finger today at Sarah Palin and Republicans for "Drill baby drill." This isn't the time to start a blame game. Step in and step up to BP and stop this leak and start cleaning up the mess and act like you give a damn! PLEASE!

Archived