Peabo Bryson OLTL opening revisited

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not sure if KDP is known for hitting every note, but I think she does add emotion to her songs. Some of the emotion is a bit fake at times but I think it works well enough, at least on OLTL. I don't follow her career outside of OLTL but I don't think she's ever billed herself as a big name singer -- I always got the impression she, Bobbie Eakes, and Martha Byrne all used their soap fame to help push a modest singing career, although I guess Bobbie and Kassie originally came from singing backgrounds.

Her little bit of the Peabo Bryson song was one of the few moments I enjoyed during OLTL's big car crash/Jessica is brainwashed and almost raped by her father/Stacy dies stuff.

The version linked here is overproduced, too fast, and chipmunky. It's not good at all.

I thought this sounded better, the one Scotty mentioned in his post:

• Members

Jason's a good singer but his version sounds too boy bandish. I picture him and Cole and Matthew, all looking very "sincere" and Jason occasionally adding in an "ooh girl."

Lawson does sound like the Hoff. He also sounds a bit like the "choppin broccoli" guy Dana Carvey played on SNL.

I wish we could hear these without the autotuning.

• Members

I think KDP's got a lovely if limited voice. I just don't think she should sing on the show, but I don't mind it much anymore. The only time I was really perturbed was when they had her sing some horrid easy listening country [!@#$%^&*] over Todd and Blair's wedding in 2001. That was so inappropriate for the couple.

This, OTOH, I really like. I love her version of the theme. With a few bells and whistles they could easily make one of these covers the new regular theme.

• Members

Kassie's was the best. I hope she does get to sing the theme if they change it.

Oh please Clay Aiken? Really? I'd say she's so much better than him, who is HIGHLY overrated

How is Kassie overrated? It's not like she sings 24/7 and you can't be overrated if you don't do something alot to be overrated about.

• Members

It's interesting that, in the world of television, when ratings stink and a show is struggling to survive -- they always get a little nostalgic and grab back into the past. Maybe an attempt to recapture long ago days of being at the top or at least close to it?

With fond references to the past, though, I sometimes wonder why bother paying homage to it. If producers, etc. have such fond recollections of the way things were, why in present day do they so radically alter the successful visions and original concepts that worked well to begin with? This question holds true for every cancelled soap we may remember, as well as the scant few left on the air somehow skimping through the day on broadcast life support... :)

• Members
Maybe it's because I constantly hear about how DaAirhog "can sing" and I used to see her mug splashed on SoapTalk singing and then on OLTL, and the select group of fans here who like her.

I do admit, I liked her "Never Fall In Love Again" cover from Babes Behind Bars.

• Members

Not that I think KDP is going anywhere, but I believe using a cast member to sing the theme song is a conflict of interest. And not for nothing, but Peabo Bryson is still alive and there is no lack of dynamic professional singers out there who could cover this. Although I think she is perhaps the most affected singer of recent memory, when I first threw this idea out back at WoST I suggested Joss Stone. Someone of that ilk. Great singer, unique voice, as well as non-A-list affordable. Sure, we can pick our favorites, but basically I feel that all of the above cast versions are on the hokey side and my worst fear is that they'd introduce some mash-up version of the theme where several cast members got a line of lyric. Lord help. :rolleyes:

• Members

Since everything on TV these days is blink-and-you'll-miss-it, I think OLTL (and every other soap) is better off cutting to a simple "ONE LIFE TO LIVE" at the end of each teaser, a la "Lost."

Archived