Peabo Bryson OLTL opening revisited

• Members

I just checked out the soundtrack for the OLTL musical "Starr X'd Lovers" and it has a bonus feature on it. Three versions of the Peabo Bryson '80s theme performed by different members of the cast.

First Kassie DePaiva: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF2pCB5D7E8

Second, Jason Tam & Brittany Underwood: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTIeQdsvq4Q

Third, Mark Lawson: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciIp2LQGmtc

Add all of that to Kassie DePaiva singing the old theme at the beginning of an episode a couple of months ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsqHiXyRgYY

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm curious as to the sudden interest in the Peabo Bryson theme....makes me wonder if a new opening for OLTL (featuring the song) may be on the way soon. Especially since we just got new bumpers and GH just got a new opening.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It just seems like such a positive song that mostly works except underscoring the headshot of a character like Ford... :rolleyes:

But yeah, I'd say it's probably a safe bet to assume we'll see a switched opening soon. I'm gonna try to ask the actors on twitter, lol.

• Members

I think it's more Frank and Ron showing their love for the show's '80s heyday, but if they're going to bring this theme back, I'd much prefer an outside professional singer to do it rather than one of the cast members.

• Members

GAAAAG! Especially Kassie DaPaiva's version.

I just find her so overrated as a singer. I'd rather be waterboarded and forced to listen to "Love Never Fails" by Kathie Lee than to hear anything by her.

ABC's music division owns the lyrics and the rights to the song, no?

• Members

That wasn't mean, at least to me. I guess I just skipped over those by accident, but I agree 100%.

Peabo Bryson's version just rocks. But I have one of his compilation CDs too and it's just great for good, easy listening.

Rarely today do you find singers like George Benson, Michael McDonald, or Peabo Bryson out there today unless they are being mocked for being Adult Contemporary or unless they suck really bad(i.e. Taylor Hicks). I think the closest anyone came to that was Clay Aiken and his ego was on overload and he didn't really have the bass in his voice those guys did.

That said, I'll eat crow and admit I'll give Starr X-ed Lovers a chance. The cover of Battlefield from the promos is getting stuck in my head. And I used to love when Gary Tomlin did stand-alone stunts like this on OLTL, one of the only times I was ever consistently watching the show.

• Members

I think that some sort of opening change is coming sooner and rather than later (and I'm not talking about just another update either).

But yeah, you do that....after your finals and double-checking those counts. :P

• Members

Overrated? Who rates her?!? She is awful. Here is someone who maybe has a pleasant voice but is just so dull as a singer her actual singing talent is rendered null and void. She is from the Clay Aiken school of singing where they hit every correct note but there just is nothing there to engage you. They are the opposite of someone like Louis Armstrong who could barely hit any notes and yet could sing any song brilliantly.

The guy who plays Brody he has a pleasant voice too, and if either one were at the karaoke bar they would be a hit with the crowd. But their limitations is why these two obviously trained singers are on soaps and not singing on Broadway or cutting CDs. You know KDP would sell her soul for a chance to star in a Broadway musical; it was probably a dream of hers when she came to NY.

One of the best soap actor singers I think was Kyle Lowder. He clearly trained for musical theater or maybe even opera and has a very nice voice, but again, it isn't nice enough. Although if he was given a shot I bet he could do a halfway decent job at a gig like that. KDP sings as if she has no soul, an automaton hitting notes and not knowing why.

Archived