Best and the Worst Black Storylines

• Members

Except you don't see a lot of black brown or yellow characters in daytime and by their exception, their storylines stand out. It's very disturbing to me that despite stellar work, black brown and yellow actors and actresses have been largely ignored and demeaned by Emmy nomination committees and with the death of daytime it will be the legacy of the Academy to have largely ignored those actors.

A thread in recognition of the storylines their peers didn't care enough about to treat as valuable probably isn't asking all that much.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think it's kind of like trying to explain colors to a blind person. It's hard for some fans to understand why these things are "important"[/air quotes] to the marginalized. But then again, there are plenty of people out there who think that affirmative action is all about propping the poor and underqualified :rolleyes: completely ignoring the fact that SOME PEOPLE DO NOT LIKE BLACK PEOPLE BECAUSE THEY ARE BLACK AND WILL REPRESS THEM THUSLY, or people who think that if there's a BET it's only fair for there to be a WET too. :rolleyes:

• Members

it wouldnt be an issue of black characters were written on the same level as their white counterparts. Of course we all want good stories for our characters. Unfortunately in todays atmosphere that means segregating most who do not belong to a certain group. Its unfortunately but it is what it is. Besides this thread is more about a celebration of the past by recognizing the talent of some of the best characters and stories and on the flipside, some which might not have worked as well. Its a shame that in 2010, things are far worse than they were back then. AMC is the only soap I can say actually has a somewhat decent black presence

• Members

On Y&R, I always LOVED the story where Lillie Bell (Dru & Olivia's mother) came back to town and she was all crazy. Drucilla & Lillie's confrontations were almost painful to watch because they were so raw. For my money, there has never been a better "black story" on any soap before or since.

• Members

+1 That storyline was absolutely riveting and as I said, the emotions of the people involved were so raw that it was hard to watch at times.

Totally agree about Mamie vs Jill- they were magic together. But IMO, Renee Jones is one of the most overrated actresses in all of daytime. I'd gladly take Marie-Alise Recasner's Nurse Lyn over Lexie any day. Now that woman can ACT!

• Members

Anytime there's even the slightest dialogue about racism/sexism/homophobia viewers will twist themselves in knots to defend it.

Like someone actually said Y&R bringing Malcolm back was strengthening the "black" story or if you say Kish couldn't possibly be responsible for the ratings slide they've been blamed heavily for? It's all OMGTHEREWASTOOMUCHGAYICANSEEWHYITTURNEDOFFMIDDLEAMERICA & the slightest suggestion that Todd Manning (or any other serial male soap abuser) MIGHT be the SLIGHTEST bit misogynistic it's BUTEVERYONEELSEINTOWNHASCOMITTEDCRIMESSOTHEYCANTJUDGE!!!!!!!!!

Poor Paul & Napiera & Paul. :(

• Members

wow I don't think I have ever heard VR (I assume that is VR) speak before, but she has a weird accent. "You will nev-ah" She has no Rs.

She recently gave an interview where she went on about how fabulous she is (she should let others say this though) and I guess I was expecting something more.

• Members

It's wired because just before RH left OLTL it seems he was getting tested with Eva character. At the same time Paul & Bonnie seem like they was connecting. Then they recast Paul. All of a sudden Bonnie is just his sister friend.

• Members

I know this has been dismissed as tokenism, and it IS tokenism, but even when soaps just had one or two black characters who were there to play supporting roles and occasionally have a story, at least there was some presence. You got an occasional glimpse of their lives, friendships, families, and the actors often worked wonders with those scraps.

Now you can't have that unless it involves being degraded or shamed. Y&R has done this over and over with Neil and Devon over the past few years. Shown them as being weak or pathetic or sleazy.

Look at Layla on OLTL. She is dating a man who cheated on her best friend. He is now falling in love with a woman he has barely seen in years, he has not been involved with in over ten years, and who has serious mental problems which have culminated in her believing she's 15 years old. Her mental problems have actually made him want more tempted to be with her. Yet, this is not a scenario where Layla is disgusted and rightfully dumps this loser. Instead, we are actually supposed to be torn, and wonder if Cris would be better off without her!

And then there's poor Bonnie on ATWT...

A gorgeous, successful career woman who cared deeply for Dusty and had everything to offer him.

He dated her for a few months, and as soon as she wanted to get serious, he dumped her because he was still in love with Jen Munson. Bonnie then leaves town in shame.

A few months later, what do we get?

Dusty is hung up on Janet. As soon as he beds her, he's in love and will do anything for her. She's still married and hung up on her husband and is having a child with said husband? She has a teenage daughter who is fighting leukemia? Her crazy father shoots Dusty in the head? Who cares, it's all love. And it's JEN WHO?

Archived