Best and the Worst Black Storylines

• Members

Don't even get me started. Didn't Jamal push Alison away because he blamed himself for Valerie's death? I just remember they continually trashed Jamal to promote Alison/Rafe and I remember that pissed me off so bad. It all just kinda came out of nowhere. And I stopped watching regularly after Brown/Esenten turned PC into Twilight.

I also remember when Rafe/Livvie became an item, they pushed Alison onto Jack instead of her ex, Jamal, which would have made more sense to me. I remember when she and Jack celebrated her 21st Birthday(IIRC, they aged the character a bit to do this) and I was so mad, especially considering Jamal was the one that helped Alison celebrate her 18th at his apartment at the Recovery Room.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

We were supposed to love that because Jack and Allison were together in real life. It was a shame seeing just how badly Erin Hershey's acting fell apart once they put her with Gaskill.

Wasn't B&B a very highly rated show among black viewers for a long time, in spite of not having any black characters on their show beyond the occasional stints here and there (like Stephanie's homeless friend and her nephews, and later, Lark Voorhies).

• Members

It was to Barbara Walters, but yes, Tyler Perry said that. And I agree that there's always been a degree of vicarious living. Dynasty was extremely popular in the black community (well, at least judging from my experience), and a beautiful black woman like Diahann Carroll playing rich and dressed Dominique Deveraux only made the experience next level. I might be so bold as to say that more than any other group, black women have been the most influenced by soap style, in terms of dress and even the way they decorate their homes. Not ALL black women of course. But if you're going to see an American woman dressed like this:

AlexisColby.jpg

she's probably black and on her way to church.

• Members

I think it's only a matter of time before Tyler Perry does a soap opera/telenovela/serial type drama for TBS or a cabler. It's in his veins to do it.

I don't really like or appreciate him for the shady way he treated his sitcom writers, but I do think a soap project that either he created or produced would be a good thing.

• Members

What happened with his writers?

I can't say that I enjoy his sitcoms, I don't really find them funny. I haven't seen any of his movies, but I have seen some of his plays taped live and they were pretty hilarious. Heavy handed Chitlin' Circuit-type stuff, but plenty of LOL moments.

If he could assemble a decent writing team, I would LOVE it if he launched a soap on TVOne, not even daily, maybe a weekly or bi-weekly Degrassi-like schedule or something.

• Members

Neither do I, although I think "Meet the Browns" is marginally better than "House of Payne" in terms of how each episode is structured.

On the one hand, I can't knock Tyler Perry's success; obviously, a tremendous amount of people enjoy his work, or else, we wouldn't be talking about him. And it isn't that I have qualms with his tendency toward flat characterizations and broad humor. His deficiencies could be forgiven, however, if his grasp of plot development were stronger. As it is, I wince whenever I watch any of his plays or movies, b/c events that occur within a given piece are just so arbitrary and random, w/o proper build-up or follow-through.

Archived