Best and the Worst Black Storylines

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

GL tried that with Griffin, he went back to being a defense attorney after that horrible "he shot himself for civil rights" story, and it did work (he defended Reva over Annie's faked fall/miscarriage). Unfortunately they never made an effort after that and he vanished.

• Members

Well, maybe dated isn't the proper word. They made out a couple times during the Tomlin regime, and during his horrid storyline for her, the implication was that Rae had given up "true love" (WITH HANK!) to marry Asa. This was quickly resolved when Malone took over with Hank convincing her to divorce Asa, and they shared a few more "delightful romps" including an impromptu touch football game in Angel Square, and oh look I just vomited at the mere memory. In fact, I think that episode was Hank's last appearance until 2009. I couldn't believe they stuck him with Rae.

• Members

I don't remember any of this. I guess I was just not paying attention to some of those stories. I do remember her marrying Asa of course.

It's a bit odd as I don't think Linda Dano and Nathan Purdee go together at all acting-wise.

I guess he didn't invite her to take any photos for him.

• Members

I was very excited about Linda Dano joining the show and I think that fizzled shortly after she drove into town in that snazzy candy apple red Jag XJ. I was a lazy VHSer, ended up missing most of her run and thought it was inexplicable that she hardly had ANY scenes with Robin Strasser (which made sense in hindsight :ph34r: ). I don't think LindaRaeFeliciaDano was right with Hank or Sykes for that matter, she belongs with John Aprea types.

• Members

Well, I can't speak for Khan nor have I ever seen ABC soaps really(have they had any Natives? Let me know, just cause I'm Navajo) but I do know some of the common criticisms was isolationism and being stereotypical. With the latter issue Y&R always had a big isolation problem in the 90s storyline wise but it was most blatant with the Neil/Dru/Malcolm/Olivia quad. The stereotype thing had to deal with aspects Bell wrote like illiteracy, AIDS, crime etc. Oh yeah and recasting the original Keisha with an "olive-skin" Italian woman and maker her hair extra curly and then calling her black didn't sit well with too many viewers.

Though, I still give Bell credit for making it work and integrating the cast. Like Tony Hillerman(my example) on the outside looking in sometimes one could never get it right yet a lot of it rang true and still told enjoyable tales. Funny thing is when Y&R's diversity hit its peak 1995-1998, the three P&G shows had pretty much given up and dumped their AA characters.

• Members

I've been told that this didn't "matter" because Keisha (Keisha mind you) was an "exotic" character and her race was irrelevant.

:mellow:

i've also been told that Blair no longer being asian didn't "matter" because the Jaba City s/l was over with and she no longer needed to speak Japanese.

:mellow:

Lord, help me to hold out.

• Members

One of the more fascinating aspects daytime neglects to explore is the racial mixture. You would think the melting pot that America was supposed to become would be epitomized on soaps. What is more dramatic than Blair discovering her Ameriasian father.

Archived