Best and the Worst Black Storylines

• Members

Indeed. Mamie was indeed a common name for black women born in the first half of the 20th century. I have several aunts and cousins in Mississippi named Mamie. And Beulah. And Hazel and Hattie. These aren't names to be ashamed of.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Same here and I agree, but I think people are taking issue with the name choice being the most typical of the typical and of course its similarity to "Mammie". Had it been Almeeta, Mally, Melbadene, folks might still ^_^ but there wouldn't be all this <_< .

• Members

I get that, I see that and I respect it but still, not family.

Well, at least you see where I'm coming from. Mamie's still too close to Mammy, and her role is still too similar to a mammy's, for me to buy it as just a name from her era. Doesn't cut it.

No one's saying anyone should be ashamed but when you are one of a handful of black characters on a show and you play a maid who acted as a surrogate mother and maid to white children and your name is 2 letters off from mammy it sets off internal alarm bells.

• Members

When you're in people's wills & their willingly taking care of your family out of love & devotion for you?

Their family.

Oh no I completely understand.

The thing was though Mamie wasn't a Mammy (at least in the manner entertainment portrays them).

Still she was the Abbott kids literal Mother (not just caretaker but maternal figure) once Dina abandoned them but given the racism in Daytime TPTB (even a genius like Bill Bell) was going to let a Black Woman be the recognized head of a White family even if that was the end result of the story (which it was).

If the character's name was Beulah or Hattie would you feel the same?

It does but it also has to be given proper context too.

The next two Black characters were Frank & Amy.

Names about as whitebread & non ethnic as one can get.

Why not Lester & Latoya or Lamont & Yvette?

• Members

Absolutely. Even while Beulah was on the air there were protests against it, so to imagine that they'd have a black maid on daytime 30 years later and name her BEULAH? Oh good lord. They may as well have named Neil Stepin Fetchit (which is what I call him whenever he's made to lick Victor's boots but that's another can of worms).

I believe I am giving it the proper context for what it's worth.

• Members

Tom and Simone Hardy on GH back in the gap

before racist Frons/Guza took over they were in top tier story.

Then slowly became invisible before disappearing...

Dr. Elaine Winters never had a love scene...sort of a love intrest w/Justis then they whacked him

and had a nice size fanbase that walked

they did nothing for her while they over exposed /marketed

her fellow Port Chuck refugee beachball bouncer.

Disappointed in the Epiphany / Toussaint storyline NS1 did them justice great story for them

when Billy D came to GH they promoted him from mopping floors and then suddenly after their announcement

he too disappeared.

Dissapointed w/Devon and his girlfriend played by Tatyana Ali (who in my opinion would have made an excellent Lily since they felt Davetta didn't work out because for me Lily is a joke I don't hate her I just can't see her as Dru's daughter for some reason and I don't think she's a good actress)

Same with Evangeline and RJ whom she was brought on for...they made him a stalker out of character plopped her with John, Todd whom they knew they were not going to write a real story for her..she was just a placeholder when all was said and done...I haven't watched OLTL since she was gassed.

Same thing w/Tatyana's character and Devon they could steal the show and we know we can't have that so again "no air"

its the same story....

For me Angie and Jessie had good storylines top tier A stories and were a supercouple

I don't know about now I don't watch ABC soaps anymore the same stench permeates all three of them.

I didn't see the Wards (GH) I wasn't living in the US then I'm catching them now on Utube...which is where I dwell for soaps

I'm basically a "vintage soap opera watcher now" I can't endure the crap fest they have made of this genre the "most" part.

Sorry to hear Tyler Perry has a huge ego...

• Members

Maybe things got switched after I stopped watching, but I remember Jill being the one who gave Mamie the million to hightail it. She walked around town with it in a shopping bag (cash!).

• Members

And Mamie wasn't going to accept it, but then she caught Jill and John in a private moment talking or she caught John in a private moment and she misinterpreted what he said, and she thought he didn't want her. I thought that was out of character for Mamie. I didn't like the way that story ended, it must have been due to some sort of backlash.

• Members

I wonder if Bill Bell brought Mamie back a few years later because he was sad about how the earlier story panned out. They clearly had no real point in Mamie returning and she faded away quietly after that.

• Members

I'm blurry on this but didn't Katherine set up newly rich Mamie with some handsome black guy(Trent?) and the two went off on a cruise?

It was a quick and disappointing pay off to a story that was years in the making and had a lot of life left in it...

Archived