Best and the Worst Black Storylines

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
He'd have to do a daily soap, at least three or four days a week. Isn't that the way he launched "House of Payne"? He aired about two or three episodes a week. And all of his sitcoms are videotaped, multicamera with that faux-film filter.

The guy could do a successful daytime soap if he wanted. He's got his own studio space in Atlanta, a huge African-American following, and could easily find support on TBS for his venture. It might be good, it might not be. But his work, from what I've observed(never seen any of his movies), is just very soapy in general.

Until the writer drama, I've never knocked Tyler Perry. I get people think he promotes negative racial stereotypes and that he's an all-out, modern day minstrel show with Madea, but I honestly believe Perry just wants to tell fun comedy with his series of Why Did I Get Married/Madea type movies. I don't believe that's any worse than the ridiculous amounts of shallow Jennifer Aniston/Kate Hudson/Ben Stiller movies that are out there. It's not like Perry produced Soul Plane(which was probably the most offensive movie I've seen last decade).

He promised to eventually pay them union wages for their work on House of Payne and Meet the Browns and when they went on strike to protest, he fired them all. He eventually came to an agreement with the Guild, but it's upsetting to me because he's a writer himself and understood how much hard work it took to establish himself when people probably wrote him off or tried to not pay him what he was worth for his Madea shows. These writers were looking to him, not for a handout, but what was rightfully theirs as writers working in the biz. Not to mention, for someone who doesn't believe he should be paying writers union wages, why is he a member of the Screen Actors Guild and the DGA?

He still gets his panties in a wad about it even after he had to pony up the money to his writers, which still upsets me.

They were. Not going to knock them. But I didn't like them. And there were many fans who didn't appreciate the trashing of the Jamal/Alison characters just to prop the peroxide duo.

• Members

And the subsequent marginalization of Jamal.

First being relegated to third wheel in a boring romantic triangle of various ethnicity then even further to "that black storyline" with glorified day player Kent Masters King.

• Members

Nobody's arguing that she was an employee but she is also family.

She's to The Abbotts what Esther is to Katherine.

It was a reflection of real life.

Mamie was a middle aged Black Woman born in an era where names like Mamie (for all women) was common.

It wouldn't be anymore different if the character's name were Juanita or Beulah or Hazel or Hattie.

For instance Tiffany was a popular name for many women (especially wealthy ones) in the 80's or names like Ryder & Chloe are common for youth now.

I understand the concern people may have with the intent behind the name but Bill never treated the character with anything less than dignity & respect which was reflected via his writing & characterization.

Archived