Best and the Worst Black Storylines

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm ashamed. All this time I had no idea who Monty Sharp was. I loved David on GL. I just did not know the actors name. I was so young when this story was on the air but I remember how good it was.

The Y&R story with Dru confronting her mother is one of my favorite stories of all time. I would consider it one of the best character back stories I have ever seen. I didn't like Dru very much until that story but it changed my mind and my opinion of Dru. Dru and Neil had a very good romance over the years. VR is a diva but her absence crippled the minority presence on Y&R. Now we're stuck with MAB pretending to act like she cares.

• Members

I'm an Agnes Nixon fanatic as much as anyone here--but you're basically saying no one else has written decent black characters?

I wish I could find a way to upload the several NYTimes articles on the subject I have--but they're not in a format to do that (they're not in the free archive)... I could try typing them up. There's ellen Holly;'s great piece about her work from 1969 I believe, that late 70s article about diversity on soaps which basically (and perhaps too easily) divides the current soaps with those that reflect a more realistic diversity, AMC, OLTL, How to Survive a Marriage and basically everything else which the author says are in a white fantasyland--and one fromt he late 80s that says soaps are getting more diverse again because audiences were starting to deplete so they wanted to appeal more to minorities.

• Members

Wow, what happened? Why'd they stop? :unsure: To me, it seems like Business 101 to find success by appealing to a disenfranchised/underrepresented group. White men in other fields have become millionaires tapping into this very principle. Isn't it SAD that not one asian American can say that he or she followed the lives of a fictional asian family on a U.S. daytime soap opera? And no, none of the paltry examples we can come up with were good enough.

I guess TTIC won't see the light until they're all out of the job and primetime and film will have nothing to do with them.

• Members

My favorite black romances were Angie and Jesse and Dru and Neil. I also liked David and Kat from GL. For the interracial romances I'd give Jason and Keeshan (GH), Jessica and Duncan (ATWT) and Evangeline and John (OLTL) thumbs up. I was too young for Angie and Clint on AMC but I've heard feedback on their story.

• Members

David and Kat were great, but you knew deep down Bridget and David were soulmates, but interracial romances, especially with young couples were too "taboo" at the time. <_<

That Vinny Morrison trial clip is representative of what GL was during the time I really loved it during the early 90's...

• Members

I thought that Bridget and David were great friends and I could have liked them. But I loved David and Kat. It was one of the last times I've liked a young black romance. I can't believe I just typed that.

What didn't you like about Bill's characterization of black characters?

Archived