Best and the Worst Black Storylines

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Vincent and his story were one of my all-time favourite things about Passions. I love that JER was so daring and actually went there. Kudos to him and to Vincent's portrayers (including Daphnee Duplaix) for pulling it off!

• Members

I wouldn't call it disgusting. I think this story was just an example of throwing everything including the kitchen sink into one story and the wind up was every shocking development resonated less and less. Ok, you have a guy who can change genders. Ok, he is sleeping with the secretly on the down lo longrunning character. Ok, he is a mystery villain behind everything. Now he is pregnant? And pregnant by who??? It just becomes too much. I liked a lot of the craziness of Passions: the mermaid, the magical chalice to control the universe that Alistair wanted (with a special cameo by the Pope), but by the time they got to Vincent it seemed like there was this desperate need to top themselves on a daily basis, so everything lost some impact.

• Members

Neil's alcoholism story didn't bother me (that's not to say I actually like it, I'm not sure if I do). It helped that KSJ gave some good performances and Shaughnessy produced the hell out of it (I recall some fantastic new sets and wonderful, I mean truly wonderful lighting during that time). And they did those great, extra long scenes that ended in an emotional cliffhanger.... I wouldn't really say it was campy at all. Not terrifically written but not bad either.

• Members

All that with Neil and his hobo beard and the big yelling, it just didn't work for me as a serious story, at least not until Dru got involved. I know they were trying to show how far down he'd slid but I think a storyline where he more quietly slid downhill would have been more effective. It all seemed to be rushed.

• Members

This thread wouldn't be necessary if daytime weren't so segregated. As a whole the genre has regressed tremendously over the last 20 years. Almost every character is homogenized. Executives are giving into the blatant racism and homophobia in select viewers.

What's the point of being a multi-generational and multi-cultural viewing audience when the shows that we're watching only show 20-50 year old straight white people exchanging sex partners?

Archived