Kylie's 11 album, out July

EricMontreal22

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I love the single cover though it's VERY similar to her I Believe In You photoshoot, but it works (and it works as well because the song has a similar sound).

kylieinyou.jpg

I don't think it's a typical Stuart Price sound though--are you thinking it sounds like something from Confessions? his new Scissor Sisters album? The Killers? Frankmusik? Let me know what song to compare it to--it does have those chunky analogue Moroder synths I'm a sucker for but so did I Believe In You which he wasn't involved in. But I think that's the ideal sound to go with for Kylie--the sorta grand, slower, electro disco with almost a melnacholy feel. I'm just curious--people like to say that Price's stuff sounds all the same, but I think over the past, is it 5? years, since Confessions that hasn't really been proven. (Though I do think the new Scissor Sisters single sounds remarkably like his production work for the Killers on Day and Age--specifically Human--I'm glad the rest of the album seems to be diff)

Yeah high quality mp3s should be everywhere tomorrow--and on youtube--that's what usually happens after a BBC radio premier (ie the new Scissor Sisters track earlier this week).

Oh and that youtube video isn't official at all lol--but nice to see the photos. I'm sure once "Mr CGI" Kahn is done with the video it won't look remotely like that. 6 Hours till the BBC Radio premier (yes I'll be listening live lol).

I don't know Toni Braxton well enough to see any similarity--is it to a cover? It looks like a perfume ad to me lol (though I like it). It's also pretty similar to how William Baker often has styled her in the past (I go back and forth about whether they should continue their working relationship or not--I do love his concerts though and would hate for her to use the overworked Jamie King or someone like everyone else does) That said I think Kylie has looked her best and most natural in ages (the X era was all about weird and extreme makeup--maybe partly as she still wasn't comfortable with her image post cancer, but the Grace Jones thing doesn't really work or her).

• Members

I expected a catchier melody.

How to explain my synth stand? I generally dislike them, especially when they're cheap-sounding or overused, but love a clear, well-defined, booming synth sound. That means that in songs I like the texture to be transparent, with all (or most) parts clearly audible. So e.g., and I know you're appalled, I like Beyoncé's Sweet Dream and Timbaland's Morning After Dark or Nelly Furtado's Say It Right. I also like that "space/galactic sound".

The drums are paramount also, and the same applies: clear, punchy, direct.

• Members

Sweet Dream is one of my fave Beyonce songs actually (though I might not admit that to most ;) ) and as much as I dislike Nelly for personal reasons, I admit I did really like Say it Right at the time (if only they could tell Timbaland to not talk or "sing" on the tracks he produces, but I guess this si something that comes from the R&B/rap community as he's not the only one guilty of it). However I would say this track has a gorgeous space/glactic synth sound--but maybe we define that differently (for me that sound originated, in crude form with Moroder's 1976 solo release From Here to Eternity and he really perfected with his strange score in 1982 for Cat People but French disco band Space were masters of it too with tracks like Save My Love. But that's also that analogue synth form, which Kylie seems to love as does Stuart Price that I think you're not as keen on). I do wonder though about the comment (not made of you) that it sounds like typical Stuart Price--it's not something that sounds completely *unlike* him but I can't think of a single track he's done with a similar sound.

*edit* apparently Stuart Price didn't do the primary production at all, but did do the final mix (like he has for the whole album)

I do find your opinion, especially on music, always interesting so wasn't trying to sound catty--it just didn't seem like a track I expected you to like whatsoever so I was surprised you did. The melody is beautiful i think though I guess you're right it's not "catchy".

• Members

And the Aphrodite tracklisting--this seems to be confirmed as official. So glad none of the RedOne songs made the album (Price said they didn't suit the tone whatsoever, which makes sense, I can't picture his sound, as much as I liuked his Little Boots track Remedy, fitting this style no matter how much Price remixed it). Anyway, I think the list of collaborators is outstanding and very promising. As mentioned, Stuart Price did the final mix for every track, even the ones he didn't do any production for, and it will bve a segued album similar to Madonna's Confessions (something I love but I know many, don't). A happy surprise to see both Richard X and Pascal Gabriel (who did my fave Kylie bside, Tightrope from the Aussie Fever edition and recently did the amazing production on the first half of Goldfrapp's new album).

ALL THE LOVERS

Written by Jim Elliot & Mima Stilwell

Produced by Jim Eliot

Additional production and mix by Stuart Price

GET OUTTA MY WAY

Written by Cutfather: Lucas Secon, Damon Sharpe, Peter Wallevik, Daniel Davidsen & Mitch Hansen

Produced by Cutfather, Peter Wallevik & Daniel Davidsen
. Co-produced by Damon Sharpe, Lucas Secon & Stuart Price

PUT YOUR HANDS UP (IF YOU FEEL LOVE)

Written by Fin Dow-Smith, The Nervo Girls

Produced by Starsmith. Co-produced by Stuart Price. Additional vocal production by Nervo.

Mixed by Starsmith and Stuart Price

CLOSER

Written by Stuart Price & Beatrice Hatherley

Produced & mixed by Stuart Price

EVERYTHING IS BEAUTIFUL

Written by Fraser T Smith & Tim Rice-Oxley (“Keane”)

Produced and mixed by Fraser T Smith

APHRODITE

Written & produced by Nerina Pallot & Andy Chatterley

ILLUSION

Written by Kylie Minogue & Stuart Price

BETTER THAN TODAY

Written & produced by Nerina Pallot & Andy Chatterley

TOO MUCH

Written by Kylie Minogue, Calvin Harris & Jake Shears

Produced and mixed by Calvin Harris.

CUPID BOY

Written by Sebastian Ingrosso (“Swedish House Mafia”), Magnus Lidehall, Nick Clow & Luciana Caporaso

Produced & mixed by Stuart Price & Sebastian Ingrosso & Magnus

LOOKING FOR AN ANGEL

Written by Kylie Minogue & Stuart Price

CAN’T BEAT THE FEELING

Written by Hannah Robinson, Pascal Gabriel, Borge Fjordheim, Matt Prime & Richard X

Produced by Stuart Price, Pascal Gabriel & Borge Fjordheim.

Mixed by Stuart Price

• Members

Thank you, Eric, I found your opinions very interesting too (that's why I keep asking questions). I don't want this to sound as a gratuituous exchange of compliments — it's really how I feel.

You are right: it sounds galactic. But I find myself liking the track only when the synth appears; the drums are junk e.g. And the track also made me realize I don't like her vocals: kind of too thin, girly, whispery (and I like whispery and breathy, but just not this kind). In the end, multiple listenings will reveal more. It's a great thing that the track wasn't a downright disaster.

I will seek out those Moroder productions, I keep resisting to listen to many of the things he's done, but now I just have to stop that. :D

And weirdly (or not) I liked Tim's vocals in that track. Also, yes, I do not like Nelly Furtado, there is something about her that rubs me the wrong way. That and also stealing tracks from Turks (which is actually Tim's doing).

• Members

Squeeeeee! :lol: I liked it! It wasn't life-altering but I definitely love it. The part after the second chorus until the last chorus is really, really good... Although I got hooked to the "announcement" and wish they had done more of that squigly thing... perhaps 30 seconds like the announcement.

I'm sure someone can edit it into the song and put it on YouTube LMAO.

But I'm happy. It's a surprisingly touching, vulnerable song.

Archived