New Daytime Talk Show to replace ATWT

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm going to take you back to when you were probably a little tyke and throw out one word: Leeza. Awesome trash! Lerza used to put on her make-up with a trowel. And she fronted a Days-pimping show, too. I think Patrika Darbo was on there sometimes for the makeover episodes.

Ricki Lake was awesome. I loved the Lie Detector episodes with the Lie Detector dude who spoke in a monotone ("...and da Lie Detector says... YOU LIED"). Oh, and the ones were somebody who cheated on an old boyfriend would come on the show wanting him back five years later. Ricki would bring him on and ask him "Who do you think asked that you come on the show today?" He'd list about 20 women's names (none of which were the person in question) before she'd get bored and foghorn "OK SHANAYNAY. C'MON OUT HERE!"

But those Ricki Lake drag queen makeovers were SO cheap-ass bad.

I also loved Jenny Jones and Sally Jessy Raphael (can you tell I was a college student in the 90s?). Sally was awesome because no matter how crazy the subject matter, she seemed to really care about the people that came on and had a lot of follow-up episodes to check up on how they were doing.

LOL, did nobody like Oprah and Dr. Phil? The high-brow talk show hosts? :lol:

• Members

I LOVE Judge Hatchett :wub: , I miss her. They replaced her with Judge Karen who had a Jetsons-like set and mulberry colored robe and bud vase, but I believe she's been cancelled already. I think they've also cancelled my Judge Penny who I also loved, my problem with her was timeslot conflicts.

I'm a big fan of Judge Mathis as well, never got into Judges Alex or Cristina. I love Marilyn Milian though she can dish but can't take with the sarcasm, and Judge Joe Brown is a friggin' windbag and I wish he'd just shut up and talk like a real person instead of rambling away with his big words which don't impress me much.

Remember Judge Maria Lopez? She had a voice like she gargled shards of glass and hot vinegar and a brow like a snare drum. She was obviously a Judge Milian ripoff and though I tolerated her she annoyed me because I thought she tried too hard to be "big and bad" and a lot of her verdicts were truly, "WTF!?" I think Judge Penny was her immediate replacement.

I always ask this when the subject of Judge shows comes up, but do you guys remember those fictional/re-enactment Judge shows from the '80s? One was called "The Judge" (I can still hum the theme in my head, it had a "Capitol"/"The Catlins"-type opening sequence) and another was called "Divorce Court". These were based on real cases, but they'd zoom in on the plantiffs and defendants whispering with their lawyers during recesses and whatnot, they were like soapy little half-hour "Law & Order" episodes.

Two episodes I remember in particular were about paralysis. One was about some teen/frat buddies who had the brilliant idea to play Russian Roulette with one of their dad's pistols. Well one of the friends "got lucky" and he was completely paralyzed and unable to speak. On the stand, he answered "yes" one blink, "no" two blinks. I was just a kid, but I remember the episode being pretty chilling and the actor playing the paralyzed guy being really good at conveying a lot of emotion through his eyes, shaking and tearing up, what have you...

The other episode I remember was about an opera diva who suffered a fall or there was some malpractice or something and her back was stuck in a fixed standing position. Instead of being on the stand, they set up this like vertical gurney thing where she just kinda leaned while she gave her testimony. She had a memorable line like, "How-a can-a I-a sing-a the Habanera from-a Carmen with a back-a as stiff-a as a flag-a pole-a??" :P

• Members

I do remember those. I remember a little of those Judge opening credits. Were they in sepia? Probably not. Or showed him at home or getting ready for the job?

Divorce Court was a big deal for a while. At the time I was naive, I didn't even believe that GLOW or WWF were fake, but the dramatic whispering and gauzy lighting were always making me think, "This must be fake," when I'd watch.

Some of the people on there wouldn't be too far off from The Days of the Week.

• Members

LOL, exactly! And yes, "The Judge" had him getting ready for work and climbing into his big '80s professional dark sedan and riding to work while he did a voiceover explaining his passion for his vocation, et cetera. I was elementary school age, and like you I had that, "Wait, this must be fake" moment which is crazy because I don't know why I'd ever assumed it was real! :P

I would really like to see a full cast list of those shows, I'm guessing they were taped in L.A., it would be cool if there were some recognizable names. I don't remember how long they ran, but I imagine there were at least 100 actors in lead roles. A'Googling I will go...

• Members

I think in some sense when you're a kid you automatically believe a lot of stuff is real, especially if it's in those settings where they pretend to be real.

The mid/late 80's were such a golden era for syndicated programming. You could see just about everything. Boy do I miss that.

• Members

And awful infomercials (infomercials used to be fun, now they just seem to be more and more with fake news reporters sitting on a fake set), awful reruns of stuff I didn't want to see in the first place...I even miss staying up to see the National Anthem/see the plane flying around and then hear the test pattern.

• Members

Wow, do they do that... anywhere any more? I guess not. Some local PBS stations still sign off (I think), wow, what a thing of the past. Oh man, lol, I'm totally thinking of that geeky infomercial host guy with the glasses and the sweaters. Do you know who I'm talking about? I think he hosted the "Plus White" tooth whitening infomercial among MANY others. You know, I think infomercials kinda started as longish commercials. For instance, there was this ab contraption where you could, "Rock, rock, ROCK your way to a flat stomach" and Suzanne Somers' Thigh Master that were iirc just really long commercials at first. And of course RonCo, the food dehydrator and the spray-on hair. :lol:

Archived