New Daytime Talk Show to replace ATWT

• Members

You got that right, the shooting location for these shows did an awful lot for their tone. I think it should be LA too.

Michael Mancini's beach house?! Perfect! En Vogue, Boyz 2 Men...heaven.

And then we throw in Sonny & Brenda (THOSE were the days). Ricki Lake, Jenny Jones, Sally Jesse Raphael and Oprah Winfrey (back when she had those cheesy diamond shape graphics!) to fill the talk void. And then we'd have to throw in some Donahue to make ourselves feel intelligent.

Poor Titans, that show could have been amazing. Hell, it was amazing...but you got it, not on NBC, the network that has never successfully aired a primetime soap!

But I'm with you watching some Martha...LOVE her.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Martha's work ethic appeals to me, but I think what I enjoy most is how unapologetic she is about being this tough, cold person who does what she wants when she wants. She is rock solid and in spite of never seriously conforming to any sort of idea of the media which trashed her ruthlessly, she's managed to carve out a very successful career for herself. I also enjoy how openly rude she can be to her guests. And her April Fool's Day shows always crack me up. Just about no one else does those.

As for 90s nostalgia, I did enjoy a lot of the stuff which came on in the first half of the decade, but it seems like the second half became very derivative. I also remember a ton of nostalgia starting around 1995 and 1996 and just building up and up. That's when VH1 started to get more notice, when they became so much about nostalgia (8 Track Flashback is better than most of the stuff on that channel today). I think that was around the time that America sort of started giving up on new trends or a consistent idea or fad and just going back to comforting themselves in what used to be. That's also around the time that TV started becoming less progressive and more reactionary and homogenized.

• Members

Isn't Martha Stewart also a liar and a fraud? :unsure: A convicted one? Who served jail time? :unsure: No? :unsure:

And this whole idea of I like how rude she is! Yay! and then people go on complaining how the whole world is just rude and nasty. No wonder then, when rudeness and impoliteness is celebrated as a great thing!

• Members

I like Whatever, Martha on FLN. her daughter and her friend like mock her. Its brilliant.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

• Members

Martha earned her right to be rude :lol: Talk show hosts are usually rude anyway, some just do it with a fake grin. She doesn't bother.

Martha's convictions probably had as much to do with her giving money to Democrats as they did with anything else...

• Members

My dad was a HUGE Morton Downey, Jr. fan, we watched that all the time. That's the last time I remember a host smoking so openly and unabashedly on a TV show. He and Geraldo just LOVED to have on the white supremacists.

Richard Bey and Gordon something, he was British/Australian, they both had trashy shows that came on at like 4/5am in my area, I only caught them when I had to get up super early to finish the papers I always wrote at the last minute.

• Members

And speaking of Oprah, do you remember her girlfriend Gayle King's shortlived show? Oprah really didn't want her to do it, apparently she'd hoped to have Gayle do more and more segments on her show and perhaps take over should Oprah decide to move on to something else. This was over a decade ago though, obviously things worked out a little differently (Gayle at O Magazine, Gayle's radio show and new show on OWN, et cetera).

• Members

Gordon Elliott. His show always seemed a bit of an afterthought, he would have been better off in another format, or hosting ET or Access Hollywood. He had a lot of charisma. He went on to do some stuff for Fine Living.

Morton Downey Jr went on to say he deeply regretted all that smoking.

• Members

Martha did break the law and she did serve the time. What more is there to say? I won't even pretend to know the ins and outs of what she did, but the fact that she was convicted and went to jail and still manage to come out and bounce back better than ever has to be a testament to something. Either the people's willingness to forgive or Martha's ability to do her thang. Possibly both. Besides, whatever law-breaking she did does not negate the fact that home girl knows how to work the perennials.

Speaking of scandals and such, how about all of those tabloid "news" shows. Really, I'm just talking about Hard Copy, which was all the rage for a while.

Archived