Grade The Soaps

• Members

ATWT = B

Love it, most days. However, it gets a B because I realize there are tons of things that need improvement. You got people flying out the country in 15 minutes on commercial flights, questionable story choices like Jame's Stenbeck possessing Mick's mind (which was engaging but ultimately I was pretty confused), and no real buildup--everything happens so fast, its like you have to watch it everyday.

DAYS = C-

Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't. Some days its great, some days its good, some days its boring, some days it's reaaally boring. If you like basic soap opera with no frills thats what you will get with the current incarnation of DAYS. It does this effectively, for the most part, and has some very strong actors, but I think a long-term story arc is much needed.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree with everything you said and I'd go further and give it an A-.

I also appreciate that characters now have in-depth conversations every day. It wasn't too long ago that we would run to this site to praise a scriptwriter like Kate Hall for giving us scenes where people shared their feelings because it was so rare to get them from this show.

• Members

Can only grade the soap that I watch so here goes:

Y&R C- (Show could be so great but has been plain boring and silly for the past six months.

B&B D (Boring, silly, often stupid and, overall, a waste of airtime. Brad Bell-how far you have fallen.

ATWT B (Most-improved show of the year. The pace is way off but some of the stories have been really good. It is the one bright spot in the CBS lineup but only till September)

Days A- (Pace is perfect but stories can be a bit boring. I love Vivian! She demonstrates that an actress doesn't need to be 20 in order to steal the show. I can't wait for Days to take number two in the ratings.

GH D (I'm over all the married to the mob trash and rape. The only good things about GH are the sets.)

• Members

Wow, thought that I was the only person to think Carly sucked the life out of ATWT. Now there are three of us! I don't think she is the worst character on TV but As Carly Turns became way too Carly-centric and, in my view, this killed the show. Soaps aren't good when one character dominates the canvus. It didn't help that their 'star' kept leaving the show for something like 10 babies. I get that she was the 'new' Lisa but even Lisa didn't suck up so much air or get stuck in Carjack-like ruts.

• Members

There is no character I have liked less than Carly in 22 years of watching daytime. I loathe, despise, and detest her. Not love to loathe, despise, and detest her, just loathe, despise, and detest her. There is nothing you can do to change my mind.

As for four months, I haven't actually watched the show in such a long time, I didn't know she wasn't on.

As for Alison, she is alright. She doesn't bother me, at least. Wasn't there an actor named Jessica who played her, who had been on THE SOPRANOS? I liked her less than this Alison. In either case, neither one ruined the show like Carly, the worst character in the history of soap operas I have watched.

• Members

Nope. She is my least favorite character of all time, any show. The combination of Carly and their never having writers as good as D. Marland proved to be a one-two punch that (literally now) killed this show. Scott should have come to work every day for the last 14 years. Maura should have stayed home with their kids.

• Members

Were you watching ATWT Rosanna in 1993-1994-1995? I slowly built up such a level of loathing for that character (I hate being rich! Mike, I love you, no, Mike, stay away from me! My family is mean!) that Carly was a breath of fresh air. She saw Rosanna for exactly what Rosanna was - an entitled, self-righteous brat.

I guess it helps that most of the people Carly has hated the most have been characters I also hated, like Rosanna, or the truly unbearable Julia, but even then, I think when she's had the proper writing, Carly has been one of the show's bright lights over the past fifteen years.

Archived