Grade The Soaps

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Has GH improved that much?

I only regularly watch AMC/OLTL

And would give AMC a cautious B+ (though I admit I thought the initial upswing from Broderick etc was already fading till this week introduced a ton of great new stuff)

OLtL a C- (and that's generous after today...)

Very true, but of course that's also partly the kind of people a board like this attracts, I think.

That said, and you can scoff all you want, the last little while when I've gotten home at the end of the day I've been eager, and enjoyed every moment, of AMC. It's largely I guess cuz it feeds into nostalgia, but it's been the first time in several years that I've been disappointed when the final "act" happens. Will it last? meh.

• Members

Oh, don't be generous! Give that horror the poor grade it deserves. TeenJess! Langston's riding a Ford! Gigi/Rex/Farah's horrific hair and acting! Todd! John! The Big Kish-Off! Rachel being forced out like a black woman on an all-white TV show!

Hell, now I feel like giving it an F.

• Members

Ryan's Hope: B- (I love Rose/Jack...Jill's story is very plot-driven but NAA is superb...go away pathetic Faith and Kimberly and give Delia better stories)

Emmerdale: B+

Eastenders: C

Coronation Street: C-

Hollyoaks: D

The others would be somewhere between C- and F.

• Members

How I wish i could follow Ryan's Hope (what era are they currently showing)?

I've seen some Corrie--we're late 2009 here, and think it's decent but I've never been a big fan

If we count any soap we're watching, I give Peyton Place (almost at the year one finale) an A+ Truly some of the finest soap I've seen. When stories suddenly intertwine in such a surprising, yet in hindsight perfect, way I honestly sometimes just sit there with my mouth open. LOL :lol: (the forty bucks I paid for all 41 DVDs I think might prove to be the best investment I've ever made entertainment wise...)

• Members

They're in autumn 1980, when there are still some good moments before three of my least favorite soap characters of all time (Faith/Kim/Joe Novak) team up to drive me to madness throughout 1981.

Corrie at its best was many years ago. Those characters were among some of the strongest drawn and most relateable, watchable you could find anywhere (Ena, Elsie, Len, Jerry, Ray, Annie, Jack, etc.) The show is uneven these days, I watch more for the characters and their relationships than the stories. What keeps me with the British soaps is that they still try to respect their history and their veterans (to a point) and the networks are still invested in helping those soaps. In the US the soaps have been given up for dead.

I enjoy hearing your thoughts on Peyton Place. I'm glad you're enjoying the show. I think watching the old shows is the key to surviving today's soaps. When I go on Youtube and find clips I've never seen, or haven't seen in years, it's like a littler surprise gift left under the tree. This keeps so many defunct soaps alive in the memory, and in some cases, like OLTL, I don't know if I would watch the current episodes if I didn't get to see the past. Stuff like Fraternity Row or Rauch's psycho of the month may not be a masterpiece but it's a lot better than most soaps in recent years.

• Members

I give GH a solid B. I have no problem with her being unsympathetic because unsympathetic people can get beaten up also, and that is the challenge I think the actress is doing a decent job at: her character is acting horrible but you can still feel for her being attacked. Her falsely blaming another guy because he was not attracted to her just adds an element to it. It doesn't have to be Kristina is a saint and scene after scene glorifying her and her family's righteous anger. Her parents are basically two idiots who have bought her lie completely, and her sister is out there attacking the wrong guy. I think that has more to work with storywise than just a straightforward story where the assailant gets arrested and everyone tells the little girl she has to be brave and testify like an old Afterschool Special.

And even though her parents are two idiots who don't realize they are 100% wrong in everything they say, the actors are doing a decent job playing these people who honestly think what they say is true. NP is doing good work, and TG is good also.

• Members

I am not grading on a curve....

AMC- B. The show is solid. I find myself wanting to tune in every day. It is a little on the boring side, but i really dont mind it. I am loving all the interactions and the set up for storylines. I am interested in a lot of possible pairings and triangles (Brooke/Adam/Annie, Erica/Jack reunion, Jr/Annie?..) and love that the show seems to open to pairings (Liza and Ryan can be paired with almost anyone at this point, and i love it). David & Greenlee have been an unexpected gem.

OLTL- F. I dropped the show a little bit ago, but i doubt its much better. This show is an utter mess. I dont care about 90% of the characters, the pairings all suck, the storylines are stupid. Maybe im bring too harsh because ive never really been invested in this show. But i have always been invested in jessica and what they are doing with her is... just, ugh.

GH- n/a. I dont really know what to say. Its the same old same old tired bullshit jason and sonny show its been for a decade. I just dont care anymore.

YR- F. Need i explain? This show is a train wreck and car crash all piled into one and the [!@#$%^&*] just keeps piling up with no hope of it stopping. Women are pathetic. Men are abusive and/or stupid. Pairings suck, Characters are out of char, storylines are just bad. Im done with it again. The only good thing i can say is that my girl TEB has been on a lot, in a damn awful storyline though. The show has no long term plan, and it shows.

BB- D. Its bad. Painfully bad. This show needs to let go of its past and move onto its future.

ATWT- n/a. i tuned out a few months ago, but its fans seem happy so thats good. I hope it has a great finale.

Days- B. Its a really solid show, but its starting to lose steam. Another long term storyarc is needed, badly. But they bring the romance, humor, and drama like no other soap is even trying to do. I am a little over the leads, but The supporting players are great. The teens have no ate the show in any way. the vets they have are being used in actual storyline.

• Members

Days - B-: This is the one I watch every episode of. Sweeps would have got an B+ I guess. Its slowed down since then, although it may start picking up again based on this week. I'm just so sick of EJ/Sami/Rafe and the teens are so so boring. Everything else is good though.

Y&R - D: I keep tuning in and out but it rarely keeps my attention for long. I found the whole Adam "reveal" really anti-climatic.

B&B - C: Same old same old.

• Members

Days - B+. Days is a solid soap. It has its highs and lows, but when I'm watching Days, I feel like Salem is a real place full of people who are connected to each other in meaningful ways. I am guilty of having extreme soap fan devotion to John Aniston which makes me give TPTB kudos for using him so much these days. My main gripe is that I'm tired of Melanie's indecision, EJ's pursuit of Sam, and the Bo/Hope drama. Melanie need to pick one and stick with him, EJ needs to leave Sami alone and hook up with Ari, and Hope needs a new love interest. I suggest David Andrew McDonald as a business associate of Victor who comes to Salem and sweeps Hope off her feet.

AMC - B. I am not happy that Frankie has disappeared along with my desired Frankie/Madison pairing, but they got me back thanks to more cast integration. I'm thrilled that Natalia is finally getting some airtime and that Liza has found her backbone.

Y&R - I. I'm giving Y&R an incomplete because although I only watch occasionally, I still think that it has potential.

GH - E. I honestly don't see the improvement. The show still revolves around Sonny and Jason, all the male characters really. Only habit and my rabid Robin love keeps me tuning in occasionally.

B&B and ATWT - Fs. I used to love them both. Now there is no point. When I won't watch B&B for Susan Flannery or ATWT for Carly, I know that its over.

OLTL - If there was anything lower than a F, I would give it to OLTL. I won't get started because I'd never stop. I'll just say that OLTL is the equivalent of a soap outhouse.

• Members

Would you just stop talking [!@#$%^&*] about that show for one g-d minute!?

(I know, it's getting old.)

DAYS absolutely needs another "pot-boiler" story like the baby switch. When you have a big, front-burner tale that gets viewers talking (in good ways!), it helps infuse interest in the rest of the show as well.

Archived