Grade The Soaps

• Members

Thanks! I really love your Jake/Amanda banner. Really good

nah I never saw the original Rosanna. Most of my early experience with Carly was when Jack was with the first Julia. I hated how ATWT trashed her and threw her under the bus for Carly who was absolutely pitiful

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's a matter of taste. Why does anyone like some actors (or characters) and not others? One objective fact is that her Janet Leigh shtick never impressed me. An actor's voice is more important to me, I think, than it is to a lot of other viewers, and hers is a voice I hate to listen to. Really, I can't think of one good thing to say about her.

Whatever my reasons, I stopped watching ATWT because of her. Her and the scheissful writing that made her the star of the show. I so wish Marland hadn't died. I can't swear that he would not have hired her, but daytime began to fall apart when he died.

Oh, Sylph, I've been wondering who the guy is in your avatar.

• Members

I never saw that as throwing her under the bus for Carly (although they had certainly made Carly look awful for several years to try to make Julia a heroine) but as Julia not working as a sympathetic character and Hogan Sheffer, who has so many issues with women, deciding it would be more fun if Julia was a psycho. He did to her what he did to Patty on Y&R. Hey let's have rape a man and kill an animal, what a hoot. It didn't do Carly any big story change -- Craig was foisted on her for ages due to Sheffer's hatred of Carly/Jack, and then when they did put her with Jack it was not something which ever lasted.

• Members

I agree I remember loving Carly as she was so wicked against the snotty brat Rosanna. I seem to recall in the late 90s a lot people liked her and compared her to a young Lisa of the 60s and 70s. Actually a couple of comments posted here remind me of the tale of when Eileen Fulton was approached by a woman who slapped her because to her Lisa was a very person. I never much like Julia(and definitely not the other Julia) they never seemed to know what to do with her. First she and Barbara have a secret past err never mind she's Reid's concubine to full fledged psycho. Besides I always felt Carly was the perfect counter-balance MB's Lily.

And yes Scott should still be on the show would it not be for Lucy Johnson to rid CBS soaps of men she deemed "unhunky" in her opinion.

Archived