Michael Learned Joining "General Hospital"

• Members

http://www.soapcentral.com/gh/scoop.php?section=casting

Michael Learned (WALTONS) is joining the cast of GH as Shirley Smith, a cancer patient, who goes to General Hospital to get treatment for her late-stage cancer. The character will have story with Patrick, Robin, Lisa, Elizabeth, Steven, Epiphany, Monica and others in the hospital. Learned tapes her first scenes in mid-March, scenes that will air in April. The role is recurring and will last about a month.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sounds like Guza is ripping off Michael Learned's story from Scrubs. She have will deep meaningful conversations with the staff who bonds with her and this changes their lives in GH's case for two seconds. I've learned my lesson after the previous medical dramas. I'm not getting my hopes up until I see how it plays out on the screen.

I was not a fan of those stories. I find it difficult to care about day players.

• Members
I guess it's perception. I feel like through those interactions with the "patient of the month" or "the dayplayers" as you call them, we saw characters at work and we saw how that work affected not only their personal relationships, but their professional ones as well. It wasn't designed to be just about the dayplayers.

The hospital stories on Port Charles, while designed in a very anthology-like way, were supposed to show you a side to soap characters that wasn't all about infidelity and constant screwing around. I'd take a million of those stories over Sonny shooting bullets, Luke eyef*cking his on-screen sons, LuLu shrieking about Dante, Maxie whining, and Spinelli spouting his latest ten-dollar euphemism.

• Members

It just wasn't my thing.

If the hospital stories got an eighth the airtime of the other stories, I would look forward to this story. Also, considering that Robin, Patrick, and Lisa will be involved this story, I'm thinking that infidelity is on the menu in some form. There is no escaping it on GH.

• Members
Fair 'nuff, girl. Fair 'nuff.

We don't know that for sure.

Or do you see Robin disagreeing with Patrick and Lisa on whether the terminal woman should be allowed to die. Robin gets high and mighty, turns in Patrick and Lisa for letting the woman out of the hospital to die and Steven Webber puts them both on suspension, with Patrick leaving Robin, angry, and having racecar bed sex with Lisa?

• Members

Guza is that you? LOL! Seriously though, I don't see how this is story will be an innocent medical drama. I am sure that Michael Learned will repeat her excellent performances from Scrubs even with GH's inferior writing. However, Lisa has been hovering around Patrick for months and nothing has happened. Robin hasn't even been portrayed as jealous and insecure. One way or the other something has to happen because everyone cheats on GH and May sweeps is round the corner. I can see your scenario playing out. Another possibility is that Robin is the one who wants to let patient die peacefully, while Patrick projecting his own fears about Robin and HIV wants the patient to fight to the bitter end. Patrick decides that Robin's attitude means that she doesn't want to fight to be with him and Emma. Lisa provides a comforting ear, supporting Patrick and he tumbles into bed with her after a few drinks at Jake's. Then again, it could just be the cynicism pounded into me from watching GH over the years. We'll see.

• Members

Good to know. LOL!

If Patrick does sleep with Lisa, I don't see her getting pregnant. If only because ABC won't want to deal with another uproar over a broken condom pregnancy involving HIV. Hell, I find it hard to believe that any woman would so casually pursue a man sleeping with a woman with HIV. What assurances does she have that he always uses condoms and is not infected with HIV? I have seen speculation that this will turn out to be a fatal attraction type story. I don't really have a clue, but I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. When does it never?

As much as I am sick and tired of Robin and Patrick as a couple, I would prefer that he not cheat. There are other ways to break up a soap marriage. Couples can grow apart or have misunderstands or they can fall in love with other people.

Archived