Michael Learned Joining "General Hospital"

• Members

It would be more believable than Lisa suddenly popping up out of nowhere and still wanting Patrick. What I don't like is that plays into the every woman wants Patrick theme that gets on my nerves.

I don't think so because they did the same thing with Leyla. She and Patrick were pursuing on each other for months while he was still with Robin and they never discussed HIV.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
But they've addressed the issue of Robin's HIV. Granted, it was when Julie Mond was in the role, but they still addressed it. Spent one, if not two episodes discussing it. I hate to say this, but that is really all we need. It was eye-rolling and annoying to hear Robin down on herself every other episode when she came back to town because of her HIV status. She has owned it. She knows she has it. We, the viewers, know she has it. We don't need to be reminded of that every five f*cking seconds.

We can't have it both ways, especially on a Guza-written show, where fans hate that Robin's HIV limits her story potential, while at the same time, said fans wants to constantly remind us when he is tempted to cheat, "OMG! Patrick probably has HIV and doesn't even KNOW IT!" We have been told time and time again that Patrick and Robin take all necessary precautions when they have sex, her viral load is virtually undetected, and that Patrick is HIV Negative. This isn't a Megan McTavish or Jim Reilly show, where Patrick and Robin will suddenly become POZ buggers and infect the town of Port Charles. That why I believe, while Lisa's attraction to Patrick may not be the most realistic scenario, given the circumstances and Lisa's tramptastic background, it's not entirely implausible that the girl would want her some of Patrick. Especially if he always gets tested.

• Members

I never said that GH has to constantly discuss Robin's HIV status. I also don't want it both ways. GH wants it both ways. It wants to use HIV to limit her love interests, while using it as the occasional social and medical issue. There is no justification for Robin's HIV limiting her story potential. I think that Robin should be able to cheat on Patrick if he can cheat on her. People with HIV do cheat on their partners. If Robin's viral load is as low as GH claims, there is no reason that she can't cheat on Patrick since women with HIV are far less likely to infect their sex partners with condom use. So why hasn't Robin has another serious love interest since getting involved with Patrick? Everyone else on this show cheats or has multiple love interests. There really is an element of bigotry in how GH approaches Robin's HIV.

My original point is two fold, 1) it is difficult to believe these attractive single women aggressively pursue Patrick despite the fact that he is having sex with a woman HIV+ when there are so many other men other there. It is even more strange given Lisa's horrified reaction to the news that Robin was HIV+. Lisa even asked if he was having sex with Robin and risking his health. Now we are supposed to believe that Lisa has gotten over her concern? Also, where are the other men attracted to and pursuing Robin despite her HIV status? If HIV is not a big deal, then Robin should be able to have her own dalliances. She and Steven should grow close and become involved, and 2) if either Robin or Patrick cheat or get involved with another person, HIV has to be addressed. I don't care if it is a downer. It doesn't have to explicit, but at minimum we should see Patrick pull out a condom before screwing Lisa, but that would mean that he can't get a pass for spontaneous none blame sex. I would expect the same if Robin cheated with Steven and like I said, she should. Sex with someone who has HIV or has a partner who is HIV+ is not a no risk activity, but if you strongly care about or love someone, you will take the risk.

I won't even touch the dangers to Robin's immune system of having sex with a partner who is not monogamous and becomes infected with a STD because that is way outside the scope of a soap opera.

Archived