AMC: Welcome Home Promo

• Members

Vee OLTL is now has been in the basement in the ratings when it comes to toal viewers, HH, and demos. If you are the bottom when it comes to all 3 that isn't a good thing.

AMC was given a second chance and I am GLAD that ABC is doing all it can to get back the viewers it lost. Look at DAYS. After A LOT of changes it has done better in the ratings department.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm hoping that someone at ABC realized that before AMC can win over new viewers it has to win back the ones that have been driven away. ]

Last year, I was clipping my tapes and DVD's off my TV, and my roommates at the time, who had never watched AMC asked me what I was watching. I told them, and we watched some of the classic stuff I had on tape. They wanted to watch the present stuff. I was bitter, angry, and I thought AMC was utter trash at the time, and told them that I wouldn't. That I couldn't watch anymore. That the heart of my show, what they saw in my tapes and DVD's wasn't what was on AMC anymore. I told them it was cool if they wanted to watch, but not to expecrt what the saw in the past.

They never started watching after I said that. And in a way, at the time, I was happy. I didn't want AMC in that state to have new viewers. I didn't want people to like it without its heart and soul. I didn't want people love a subpare show.

But now that there's some life back, now that there is some heart, history, and emotion being injected back into it...I think my answer would be different.

That's the key, I think. To make the people who were like me, come back and have them when someone asks what they're watching...say, "All My Children, it's awesome. Come watch with me". That's how you gain back the auidence and create a new one.

I don't think i can ever watch full time again (I can't now cause I'm in the UK), but for everyone person like me, I bet there's two who just need to see their AMC back again, to start watching full time.

• Members

Vee I do get that--but it's partly just the luck of the draw (and the fact OLTL has always been the least fave)--if OLTL had been the soap moved out to the West Coast, it would prob get the same PR (well except that OLTL has had so many major identites over the years I dunno which one they'd say come back to), and you wouldn't complain.

• Members

If the past matters so much, I'm more curious as to why they let Pratt get away with spatting on said history for so long? Pratt even told the actors to "forget what you know about your character" he created history for characters instead of using established history.

That to me is why this promo reeks of desperation. If history matters so much, then why was it allowed to be trashed for so long???

• Members

Jackson and Brooke? Oh man, that was nice to see. Even if they were sandwiched in between Rylee. You don't think Jack will mention Reggie do you? Or has he been Chuck Cunningham-ed? And Ryan is going to dump Erica Kane? For Greenlee?! I hope Erica slices him open from scrotum to neck and wears his skin to the Valley Inn as a new pair of shoes.

It does seem weird to see ABC hype its history. That promo just brought home to me all over again that something big must've gone down behind the scenes at AMC.

• Members

I am hopeful he stays, but as far as his relationship to Erica... just keep it friendly. Much like it was for the first 2 years of Broderick's stint in the mid 90's She put them closer together when she stole Maddie and he represented her.... but didn't the really heavy Jackson/Erica romantic stuff come after McTavish was back in the mix? Then of course she threw Mike Roy into the storyline too.

I had it in my head he tried the case for the District Attourney's office... not sure where I got that.

• Members

:confused: but that's exactly the point, isn't it? They know history was "spatted" on for so long ;) Now they want to convince fans that this is no longer being done. Mission (kinda) accomplished.

I think it's completley understandable, even wise to remain scepticle that this won't happen, but that's beyond the scope of a promo.

• Members

Yes it is. That's exactly what promos are supposed to do and if these promos don't deliver thenI have no doubt AMC will be that much closer to a 2011 death.

That said, I continue to be amused by, sad for, and angry on behalf of the people who have been convinced by Nelson Branco and his pitiful ilk that AMC's success automatically means OLTL's defeat when nothing could be further from the truth. If AMC fails then OLTL dies too. If AMC succeeds then OLTL benefits from AMC as a lead-in. Those people could be tuning in to OLTL, even if it's just a tiny fraction of them. Or as least they SHOULD benefit. Unfortunately, OLTL has proven itself incapable of retaining even the slightest portion any of AMC's audience. I admit that I find that puzzling. At least some portion of returning AMC viewers must've watched OLTL. You'd think it would be easy to get them back in the habit. But no.

The only thing that can save OLTL is for it to become a quality show that appeals to the right demos.

Archived