AMC: Welcome Home Promo

• Members

I don't think it's too late. I think the strategy is to get the viewers back, even if they're "old" and not in the target demo. And in doing so, hope that they can get the daughters and the female friends of these lapsed viewers to tune in who are in the target demo. Word of mouth will be this show's best marketing tool.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

and this is bad because? All soaps are going through the crapper and have gone downhill. I welcome any attempt at doing something right and if relying on the show's history to draw people in and shape out the show proceeds, then Im all for it. Would it have been better that the promo been all about explosions or some flashy event?

• Members

Isn't this a good thing, though? It seems silly to complain--this is what most of us fans have wanted for a long time. Now I admit this is obviously their last real chance (and some on here might even question that)--but considering that, why not go all out?

I just hope the material can back it up. But I'm with Cheap here--it's ABCD doing something right for once...

• Members

I don't think Darn was saying it was BAD, just bizarre, given ABC's general contempt for the history of their soaps. It shows that ABC must realize something is truly wrong, if they're "desperate" enough to rely on Brooke and Jackson ("old people!!!11") in a promo.

• Members

That's exactly what I was saying. AMC has been running from it's past for years now (even it's immediate past, basically nothing mattered pass that very week) so this is very odd. The allegedly "new viewers" all soaps are grasping for won't know who Brooke is.

Here's another promo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLyDhqaunG8

Very well done. Question though, does AMC have ANY other stories going on at that moment? I don't watch. It doesn't seem like they do, I mean other than relationship bull with Tad and Jamie Lunar or whoever else.

• Members

A lot of C level (ie very backburner stories) like the breakin mystery, sure Tad and Liza, JR's cancer, etc, Brooke will break into the Annie one, etc. I think we'll have a number of stories open up the next few weeks. (but I can't see that preview cuz stupid ABC has it banned to non American youtubers :( so I'm just assuming you mean the Greenlee story)

• Members

Maybe this promo isn't designed to attracted "new" viewers, maybe this one is directed at those of us, like me, who Megan, B&E and Pratt drove away. If I weren't so bitter and didn't still distrust AMC as much as I do, this promo, especially Brooke would at the very least make me stand up and take notice.

• Members

I realize I'm incredibly biased and have harped on this before but how many desperate promos are they going to run with this kind of verbiage? "EVERYTHING YOU WANT is back!" It just screams, "we'll do anything, we'll suck your dick if you just watch us so we can get out of our budget hole and the network can cancel that other show!"

• Members

Vee, I'm really not sure why you'd see this as an ANTI OLTL promo--besides AMC has been doing better than OLTL in the ratings for over two months now--maybe OLTL needs to do a similar promo (tongue at least partly firmly in cheek here--it just seems very silly to complain--OLTL gets these weekly promos too, they could say the same thing if they wanted to)

• Members

It's not that the promo is anti-OLTL; it's that this entire push is focused on one show and one objective. AMC gets a much, much bigger PR blitz from the network than anything OLTL ever got, even when it was routinely beating AMC in the numbers game for much of last year. It's especially getting this blitz now because it is a deathmatch between the two shows for survival, and Frons wants AMC (which is bleeding money) to survive. Meanwhile, OLTL gets a three-second Kelly promo.

Archived