Y&R: Episode Discussion for the week February 1

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Jill/Kay saved the ENTIRE episode. I also liked the reading glasses thing, a cute human touch. But what made it all worthwhile was... "I was trying to save you from getting your fool head blown off, you BATTY OLD WOMAN!" did Esser write that scene?

Rauch wants to make sure the negro with the darkest complexion is in the position of servitude?

• Members

They have no problem IMMEDIATELY returning to perfect dialog for these two. I wonder if the actresses drag out the famous phrases, or if it is in the scripts.

OMG...but honestly, I found it offensive that Malcolm just went in that kitchen and made sandwiches for everyone. It was ridiculous.

Plus, I'm still thinking of Shemar. So if Malcolm DID make a meal, I can't see it being a carby f*cking sandwich too thick to wrap your mouth around. It'd be a healthy salad with a piece of grilled salmon thrown on top. And maybe a protein shake chaser. But this Malcolm doesn't seem to live like that, does he?

• Members

I would love it Tucker ask for Jill to take him back. She tells him condecendingly "you're a strong man and you'll get over it". When Tucker is about to leave the room he sees either the GCAC bartender or JT come out of the bathroom with nothing but a towel on. That would be good karma for Jill, but there's a better chance of Jill being abducted by aliens.

• Members

Just finished today's episode, and I am so angry! I know this is not original--a number of you have hinted at elements of this already--but there was just so much wrong with today's show (in terms of logic).

1. Emily is trashed more by the day. OF COURSE Patty's gonna see that newspaper. Not only is the relationship wrong, but she cannot even be discreet. The orderly should be fired for giving her the newspaper (when she's banned)--and for that matter things like scissors.

Finally, when Patty flipped out, why did the orderly call PAUL??? There's some serious protocol violation there.

2. Katherine has been abducted TWICE, and Rex was murdered in that Chancellor home. Like the Newman house, I never understand the leaky security. It should be IMPOSSIBLE for someone to get into those grounds.

They have always been bad with this. Years ago, when Jill threw off her heels and ran up the front lawn to stop the Billy/Mac wedding, there was nary a gatehouse in sight.

The script said Chancellor was "Fort Knox", but that is clearly bullsh!t.

3. Cane. Greasy, unshaven, dirty. Yum.

4. Nichols has transformed his character overnight. Cold. Nasty. What he did to Jill was dirty. I think many of us speculated they would put Tucker with a younger-seeming woman (like Eileen Davidson, based on this week's chem test). Alas, Jill is doomed to be ostracized.

The pile on of her throughout the episode was intolerable. I'd have her leave the house, say "f*ck you all", and build an enterprise that brought them all to their knees. I now this is not going to happen.

5. Early in the episode, I (and probably all of us) figured out Victor's game. When Tucker was changing the other day (that odd scene in the closet) Adam made a key impression. He would use that to see the sealed bids, and then have Newman be the winner.

So, I do think this is vaguely clever, but undermined by several acts of ridiculousness.

First, a blind man couldn't unseal and reseal bids without anyone knowing.

Second, to have Victor do all his own dirty work...down to putting disposable phones and key in TRUMBLES (!!!)...is implausible

Third, having all three Newman men in Trumbles at the same time doesn't seem very "concealing"

Fourth, I don't believe the richest man in the world would hang out at Trumbles

I was also low-and-dirty that even HERE Victor was just using Adam's need to be accepted.

Cold!

Also, how does Victor buying Jabot HELP Katherine??? Why would anyone be reassured by this act of corporate raiding.

Even though Victor won this battle, I think this is actually setting the seeds for a major defeat. Why?

- First, we were told Victor was cash-strapped. So overbidding for Jabot makes NE very vulnerable.

- Second, this IS insider trading. On top of commercial bribery and two SEC investigations (Victoria's plus the Cayman Bank scandal), I think Victor is on the brink of losing control of his company

I strongly suspect that Adam will use this information to save his own ass when it all comes down the pike (i.e., about his baby switch, etc.).

6. As others have said, it makes no sense that Billy is upset about Jabot. He's cash poor and hasn't been interested. What was the point? I truly don't get the point.

7. As problematic as Patty's story has been, and as tragic as it is that she is ruined, Haiduk gets A++ from me for totally expressing the frustration and rage. You can FEEL her EXPLODING inside her skin! This is one of the best portrayals of frustration and inner rage I have seen. It does rescue the story a bit, as do Doug Davidson's perennially moist eyes when he is with her.

I think Patty impersonating Emily at the end -- plausibly -- is setting the next bit in gear.

Once it is established that Patty takes on the Emily character...then later when it really IS Emily in the nuthouse, nobody will believe it is her.

Now, again, I'm believing that Patty will somehow use that stockpile of drugs in her mattress to effect the switch with Em.

But won't that drug overdose hurt Emily's baby?? I guess Emily is going to lose it.

8. Did Victor have the mayor in his pocket--and use the mayor to get Tucker out of the office? Again, it is implausible that Tucker wouldn't have security and cameras. That's just nuts. But so is the idea of a corporate headquarters with no secretary and no staff. Where is everyone else (including Adam/Cane) supposed working??

9. Nick's role in this Tucker takedown is utterly superfluous. Also, Nick seems to be doing this out of a grudge toward Jack too. Why? Jack's last sofa-f*ck with Phyllis??

10. Kay tells Cane to try to convince Tucker to sell off real estate holdings next...because that will go slowly, and that will slow down the dismantling of Chancellor.

Really? Again, when did Kay become an astute businesswoman? Moreover, why do they think Tucker is STUPID?? If Tucker wants quick sales, he's not going to go for a plan to sell slow-moving real estate.

Ridiculous

And the worm has really turned, hasn't it? Kay is not "sweet lady". She is TOTALLY in the wrong here!

And Cane's coldness to Jill makes me want to KILL him.

11. If Tucker keeps saying things like this (from the preview), I'm going to want to KILL him too. Supercilious smug bastard! I have rarely hated a character this quickly. Quite an accomplishment.

My HOPE is that they're grinding her down so they can build her up.

But I know better....

• Members

Victor is never defeated. Any loss will be temporary, and anyone on the show who gloats over his misfortune will pay. As you said, this may involve Adam's salvation. If, as you've also said, Muhney and Braeden are becoming close, then Braeden may allow Victor to be slightly weakened for Adam. I guess we'll see.

They bond over having crazy dopplegangers. :lol:

Archived