AMC: Tuesday (01/26/10)

• Members

Yes. I don't buy that everyone, like Opal and Adam and Angie etc, would want to have EVERY function at Confusion and not say have a drink at the Pine Valley Inn Bar or wherever (thank God we never saw Palmer there)--they love that crazy generic dance music I guess! I HATE too how it serves every single function--it's a breakfast place! It's a dance club! It's a cocktail lounge! It's a fancy dinner joint! It can be rented out for private parties! It allows all ages even though they allow characters to buy a huge bottle of booze and sit there getting drunk with it!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In a nutshell, what I don't like is that it has no warmth and it reeks of "trying too hard", trying to be young, and hip, without a shred of that Pine Valley *thing*... I can't imagine anyone in real life having an intimate conversations of important life events in a place like that. At least they could meet half way and do something more like Buck's bar in The City. AMC got WAY too SATC and they need to dial it back on all that.

• Members

Yes, exactly. If it was just a hangout for the trendier, younger characters every so often I'd be more than fine with it, but as Pine Valley;'s number one watering hole? Cmon!

(Your example of Buck's Bar is a good one actually).

This reminds me of one thing that bugged me today--David said clearly all that about ryan and Erica, etc, etc, RIGHT over Greenlee while she was sleeping. After going out of his way to keep it from Greenlee, would he really not pull Nurse Gayle into the hall at least?? :huh:

• Members

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought it was boring.

She got her hands on a bottle of Adam's pills the last time David switched them and had them tested at the lab.

I wonder whatever happened to BJ's, McKay's or even the Cluck Cluck Chicken Shack! It is silly for everyone to congregate at the same club no matter what time of night or day, even though budgetwise it's easier to use the same set.

That bugged me too. David isn't stupid and she could have woken up at any time. There is no way he would have had that conversation in front of her!

• Members

Yeah, I know it's a budget concern and maybe this will change with the move (I guess at least we'll get Krystal's place too), so I hate to complain cuz I appreciate that budget things help save the show, but it's just simply used *too* much. We did get BJs not too long back, I think... Was McKay's the same as the Goal Post?

• Members

No, McKay's was the teen hangout/burger joint that was around from the early 1970s until at least the early 1990s. I think the last time they showed it was when Opal & Palmer had the Chicken Shack and were competing with McKay's for customers.

• Members

And don't forget that David told her Jesse was in on the plan, hoping that would sway Angie, but Angie bluffed and said she didn't care. She had enough of the lies and was willing to end it all. Cut to a press conference the next day announcing Angie as the new Chief of Staff... And all of us on here wondering why the hell there would be a press conference on live TV in the middle of the day about that!

I just chalked it up to the whole soap staple of "Hi, Jane. Can I have a word with you -- alone, please?" and they move two feet away from the rest of the people and talk loudly. Yet, people could be whispering behind closed doors, and someone overhears every last incriminating word.

Nevertheless, it's Greenlee's company she created to rival Erica's. Why the hell does Greenlee need to get over herself and be grateful that her rival business owner is now running her company? I simply don't get it.

The last time I specifically remember seeing McKay's was in the spring of 1998. Tad and Allie Doyle had a scene there. She was feeling all kinds of depressed after losing her medical license and Tad found her and tried to make her laugh by doing some ridiculous pratt fall out of his chair. I never saw McKay's again. I remember because McKay's disappeared once Hayley and Mateo opened Holidays. Holidays was soon destroyed that summer on 4th of July... May Kevin Sheffield rest in peace. :lol:

• Members

Poor Kevin... :(

I wonder why I got Goal Post and McKay's mixed up, except I think both were still used a lot in th early 90s when I began watching (I know Tom owned the Goal Post, hence the name). During the Broderick 96-98 or whatever, era, they also showed a lot of a trendy nameless coffee joint.

I remember how sick people online were of Holidays--oh wait or was that SOS? SOS was what they opened afterwards, right? (I can remember Simone taking Myrtle there during the Rayfield era--some of the stuff I loved the besst back then) At any rate people felt both places were overused, but I'd take either back in a heartbeat over CONfusion--because they felt more Pine Valley and frankly I liked the sets more--CONfusion (and the even more boring Fusion offices) are just so light, white and kinda tacky...

(When BJs was introduced me and my friends found it hysterical because the tacky, gay dive bar in our hometown was called BJs--they liked to claim because it was at the corner of a street beginning with a B and one with a J, but...)

• Members

The coffee house was Cafe Insomnia (I was about to say Insomniac Cafe, but that was originally the working title for the sitcom Friends). Scott, Anita, Bobby and them all used to hang out there. SOS was definitely the place Hayley and Mateo opened up that everyone hated. Add me to that bunch. Before they redecorated, it was a disgusting, tacky yellow with red and lime green accents. Ugh! And all Mateo did was continuously cut lime wedges. Also, because it was such a blatant jump on the Latin Explosion bandwagon in 1999.

Interesting, you Canadians. I just found it odd because BJ's is the name of a wholesale club chain here in the US on the east coast.

bj_s-wholesale-club.jpg

• Members

My memory rewrote history and figured that Rihanna sang SOS at SOS, but I just looked the clip up and it was actually at ConTusion.

"Gay dive bar", how Baltimore.

I love those old clips if Erica's disco, Langley and Phoebe gettin' it, Mona and Dr. Tyler boppin' around, and Erica blowing her disco whistle is just too much.

• Members

I agree about his scripts being forced. I found yesterday's show to be really annoying to. But I can see that the show is setting up for some things. Like with Jessie and Angie, I can foresee some marriage problems happening with them, what with both of them having time consuming jobs, never spending time with each other...they better be setting something up with Randi and Madison. I really hate how Randi keeps stealing all of Madison's ideas >.> this is like the 3rd time she's done it, and Madison just stands there like everythings fine! She is being WAY to nice, I would've spoken up! I hope the scribes give her a back bone soon, she is being such a push over. I thought I liked this nice care bear Madison, but now I want her to have an agenda of some kind...she's getting on my nerves a little it now lol. The David and Greenlee stuff is getting old, repetitious now. I wish Greenlee would hurry up and recover, and get back to PV already.

On enjoying the show more, ITA with you. I have been finding myself enjoying it a lot more lately to.

That cereal box, I noticed it! Is that what it said, Speckles? LOL! What a weird prop

• Members

I definitely think Madison is setting Randing up to for a fall. ^_^ After what Ms. Homicidal Hooker did turning Madison over to her abusive Father, there's NO way I believe she's letting Randi take credit for all of her ideas just to prove her sincerity.

Archived