OLTL: Marty/John/Natalie

• Members

'Honey.'

'You're.'

In this case, my definition would be over forty. I count Maggie, Kate, Stefano, Bo, Vivian, Victor, Caroline, Hope, and maybe Carly. Are they over forty? Yes. But with the exception of Bope and Carly what do these characters do anymore except orbit the young people and their problems?

Of course they live there, there's nowhere else for them to go and no one else for them to talk to. And of course she does some things, there's no one else left on the show in her range to do that kind of scut work. Being the only game in town really opens your options but it's a false choice.

Please explain to me DAYS' longterm plans for anyone or anything. I love Suzanne Rogers and Alison Sweeney and I don't even dislike any of the actors you mentioned, but comparing Molly Burnett or Sweeney to Susan Haskell is laughable. And Crystal Chappell? When she is not embarrassing herself offscreen her current performances are the definition of "screensaver."

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Interesting topic of discussion.

Marty is a difficult character. The character started out much too harsh and they never were able to get the character on a good footing after the rape storyline. The preface to the rape story (bonding her with the Buchanans, showing her softer side through that, giving her better back story), and the rape story were amazing. The show truly has never been able to define this character, at least with this actress, outside of the rape storyline. What was amazing in that is not a comfortable fit outside of that. She's not an entertaining good girl (hapless heroine), IMO, yet bad girl no longer feels right on any level. I think this particular issue tends to happen to characters after rape storylines, and this was a hardcore serious rape storyline (one that OLTL won't let die: Powell the rapist, etc).

I don't know if it was wise to add grand-ma ontop of the writing issues with the character.

I have always thought Kevin/Buchanans was the character of Marty's best hope.

• Members

I am not really sure why they are keeping Marty on the show when it is obvious they have nothing for her to do except be the spoiler in John and Natalie's reunion, it seems once RC couldn't get away with the rapist/victim romance he didn't want to write for her, that's a problem with soaps they have all these useless characters they do nothing with, how about a story for Viki, Bo and Nora, I would prefer that over another Marty story

• Members

I LOVE Marty and Susan Haskell. The woman can emote the crap out of any line written for her. When she told Todd that she had not forgiven him and at best only tolerated him, or when she told John that she knew he was covering for Natalie and asked him to stop walking around acting as though he was all alone in the situation - awesome. She may be emotional, but she is one of the strongest characters on the show. I think it's funny that many people think Natalie is a stonger woman than Marty just because they associate "strong" to finger-in-your-face-"you-better-stay-away-from-my-man" BS.

I do wanna see Danielle talk to Marty. I think ultimately, it has to happen. And it should be good stuff.

JMHO.

Archived