HBO: Game of Thrones

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I have a feeling they had no idea that moment would be seen that way in fandom. NCW seems to have had an inkling, but the director, not so much. I think they thought the scene would be interpreted as just a last gasp of twisted love between Cersei and Jaime.

• Members

Agreed, they're definitely teasing us with it. Then again, theoretically, that would make it more exciting when/if something happens with Loras (who is never going to be anything but a C character, given the insane amount of people on the show lol ... but you never know, they drop like flies).

Oh my, why did you have to plant the idea of bisexual Jon in my head? Now I'm gonna wish for it every time I see him. lmao

It's definitely a precarious situation they're in. They are damned if they do, damned if they don't. Outcry! and Outrage! if Tyrion hasn't been shown for five episodes, but the more stuff they make up, the more they get yelled at for it... usually. And how much can you expand when your cast makes GH's cast list look small?

(As for Dany, season 2 is my least favorite season of hers but I also liked it regardless).

LOL Dany's story is especially un-TV friendly. It's all about her learning to lead and to use/gain power while her dragons grow. Hard stuff to make into TV (and yet I think they've been 99% successful at it).

I will say this -- no matter what the intentions of cast and crew were, their public relations should have been smart enough to tell them not to ever, ever, enter into a conversation/explanation of the scene beyond some pre-arranged, generic response that left the rest on the audience's judgment. They messed up BIG time by 1) talking about it and 2) not having a common message/response across the board. PR 101.

• Members

I think Oberyn's been shown more with the men - specifically, Olyver - than any women, other than Ellaria Sand who is his longtime partner. If anything they've amped up the fact that he is into men at least as much as women, it's not some winking sideline where he throws the dudes a bone (literally, I'm here all week!). I think it's a functional character because whatever he gets up to in the bedroom, however stunning a man he is (and God, he is stunning) I think his real motive and story function is clearly his vendetta against the Lannisters.

I don't really care what they do or don't do with Loras, because since the beginning he has been a supporting character at best, and it was long ago established that the males in House Tyrell are the pawns of the women. It was clear both he and ultimately Renly turned out to be out of their depth. I enjoy him but I don't think he's there to be gay so much as he is there to be another example of the deconstruction of the shining knight - in that not only is he not there for the damsels (like Sansa's adolescent crush in Season 1) but he's also just a cog in the wheels for Olenna, Tywin, etc.

I don't think Tyrion was overexposed in Season 3 or anything. He had a lot less to do, frankly, and I remember people saying he was underused. I thought they were treading water with him until he wed Sansa, and I think they had to do some of the same with Daenerys, Bran, etc. at times in Season 3. It looks like Bran's story is starting to pick up, though.

And speaking of gay or bi Starks, I think if it's anyone it'll be Bran with Jojen Reed in about five or ten years. I dunno, man, I know there's probably nothing to it but I swear they look at each other the way I used to look at Rider Strong on Boy Meets World.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I agree that her story doesn't lend itself to TV. I do like it that they're showing that she's crafty. I don't think Tywin would be able to out maneuver her the way he did Robb. It would be interesting to see Dany and the Lannisters at war.

I think with Loras, they didn't want to make the main gay character celibate (after Renly dies) like he is in the books. I can understand that, but I also wish we saw him more with his family.

• Members

I agree with you. And in her defense, Tyrion has said many times that he will make her pay. But he's not a stupid guy. He wouldn't do it like that. I think she's just blinded by her grief and her ever-increasing mania. I don't think it helps that she truly believes he killed their mother and he was born to be some sort of curse on the family.

I always wish we could see some flashbacks of the mother. She must have been special for Tywin to love her, as he doesn't love anyone, ever.

Edited by DRW50