January 2010 ATWT Thread

• Members

I also adored Holroyd, and I wish TIIC had given him a chance to play the dark stuff they wrote for Howarth.

That's really optimistic of ya to give the writers that much credit. I even get it to a point---he's way more formal in his speech (and even his diction somewhat) when he's talking to Barbara as opposed to anyone else. There was one scene before Xmas where he started to say "Happy Christmas" (which is what they say in European countries) not "Merry Christmas" like we say in the states.

I guess I just hope they haven't completely lost their minds and really let James de-age himself.

Marie Wilson is a lot more fun as NutMeg. But I can smell the Paul/Meg reunion on the horizon. BARF.

Lesli Kay---God love her---but I think a little of the "problem" with her love scenes (and this isn't the first one that was deemed "too hot" for the network) is left over from her soft core days. And if she was gonna leave the shoes on...they should have been more "f-me" looking.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't know..Holden is hot (depending on your point of view, I think he is, which is weird, I never found him hot in his Marland tight jeans hey day) and Molly is hot (I think in anyone's point of view.) They are both middle aged adults and both are sexual characters (well, Holden was before they made him Liliput's bitch) and they both don't make the best of choices when it comes to "timing," their relationship..so I like it and see that this does come from their characters. I just hope that this is not more of ATWT's super speed storylines...I think Holden and Molly are trash-tastic.

I would like the Mick stuff if there was actaully something behind this. However, I know Kreizman's writing,and it he usually screws things up near the end of it and it all falls apart. Examples were the Phillip goes to hell and "Dies," and Roger dies and his son comes to town. Both started out dark, interesting with layers and then they all fell apart..Phillip storyline became the perils of Gush and gee, arent the Coopers the bestest thing in town, and Sebastian ended up with Holly locked in a cage and digging it, while Michelle creates a miracle cure.

• Members

I feel like the characters of Paul and Barbara are almost totally interconnected--he even flipped his last name to Ryan. He is her son, not a Stenbeck. I'm going to shy away from history 'cause this would not be the proper thread. I am just trying explain the character of Paul as I see him today.

Paul certainly isn't a James 2.0. He is Barbara 2.0: they've both spent time in mental hospitals; both kidapped people; both done blackmail. They are both morbid, dark and sad characters seasonally subjected to James' torment. In order for Paul to ever play the hero again, Barbara would need to 'recover' to heroine status or leave the canvas.

It seems to me that Paul went dark right after Babs cracked up following the fire. When Barbara was good, Paul was good; however, he has followed her into the an amoral abyss. Someone said Marland shuld have left notes for a character so complex as Paul. I think Marland did via the connection between mother/son.

Today's eppy sort of proves my point. Paul has redeemed himself: lost the brain chip, married his 'true love' Emily, done right by Meg. With Barbara plotting with Mick, it is only a matter of time before Paul gets all nasty again. He has already started via his refusal to believe Emily regarding the tip to the cops.

I'd really like to hear your take on this, Rux. You've put a few ideas out there over the past few months that actually helped me better understand the characters. All the above is actualy why I thought Paul should be the next gay on ATWT. Dude is a mama's boy!

• Members

By the time Paul went dark, Barbara was already going back to the generic meddling mother role. He was a good guy for most of Barbara's lowest points.

This was also around the same time Craig and Dusty became dark, unpleasant characters. I think Sheffer and Goutman just saw this as the only acceptable leading man.

• Members

Craig and Dusty are just pathetic. There is no reason for them to be so messed up aside from writer's bias. I can stand Dusty with Janet: perfect sleezy match in their men's and women's Express clothes. As for Craig, I still want him to give Ro her money back! I wish they would just send Craig away, maybe Montega. I sort of feel sick looking at him and especially in the bath scene. Poor Jack will for sure be Str8 for life after seeing THAT...ewwww

• Members

Other people have said the same about Lindstrom's appearance. I don't think Lindstrom is unattractive, but he's not exactly right for this role. He was perfect as Kevin Collins. This role, both the need to have a physical attraction with Rosanna and Carly (two very different, but both beautiful women), and the psychological range that Craig has, if you aren't overly handsome, you need to have charisma. I don't think he does.

• Members

Agreed, Lindstrom lacks charm. Scott Bryce wasn't much to look at but knew how to shoot a meaningful glance. Hunt Block always reminded me, physically, of a giant penis but knew how to work his smug, cold, sardonic tone. Wasn't there another Craig somewhere in between?

• Members

Bite your tongue PJ....lol. John Howard in no way looks like Ronn Moss...ewwwwwww....I agree that John Howard is freakin gorgeous!!! I actually loved him as Paul. I thought he looked like an older Andrew Kavovit. But I remember everyone saying he was too pretty to be Paul...thus Model Paul. I remember Howard coming out with Rikki Lake and the girls and guys going crazy over him that he started blushing...hehehe.

• Members

Lindstrom looks like Craig but he bores me. The scenes with him, MW and MP bored me to tears. He is just plain boring to watch. Scott Bryce is a cutie.....how can you say there's nothing to look at?..lol.. He will always be Craig for me. Hunt Block was good at the beginning until he became a one note villian. After that he got very boring to watch with his one liners.

• Members

Hmmm....when Paul was played by Andrew Kavovit I thought he might be gay. It had to do more with Paul and his wacky family....lol. My favorite Paul is still Andrew Kavovit's version. He had the right emotions/conflicts while dealing with James and his possessive mama Barbara. As I've said I loved Model Paul...John Howard. Too bad he wasnt keep longer. I think his good looks made him less believable as Paul. That is unfortunate. Scott Holryod was good as Paul too but I didn't feel he had the look of Paul. He did play Paul like AK version did but a little bit of more edge. I was saddened to see him let go. Roger Howarth...ugh....why??

I would have liked to see Marland write Paul as an adult. It would have been interesting to see his take on Adult Paul.

As for who Paul is.....as a young Paul I always thought he favored his mother... I dont ever think he has been James 2.0. The Paul Roger plays is not James and never will be in my book.

• Members

^^^^oh, I think they could have easily made teenPaul gay. It wasn't his family (well, other than his momma's boy persona) it was his "friendship" with Andy that always seemed a tad too chummy for me. Then he screwed his daddy's mistress...oh...that has "in the closet" written all over it!

I didn't really mean Howard resembled Moss---he just has the cheekbones, kwim? I'm having a hard time believing Michael Park lost the role to him. Other than they were looking for a type, and Howard fit it better...

I don't know what it is about Lindstrom that just bothers me. Block wasn't handsome, but he had a commanding presence. His personality wouldn't allow him to fade into the background of any scene (though I wouldn't call it charm). Bryce had the benefit of living the history, so even though he didn't play Craig through the damaging Block years, he had a gravitas acknowledging Craig's flaws. Not to mention looks and charm up the wazhoo.

Lindstrom--he just seems to fail on all levels. He doesn't seem to "own" Craig's history as "his behavior", although I know that's in the eye of the beholder. I don't think he's shown any particular chemistry with his children, which is supposed to be Craig's saving grace. He's not charismatic enough on-screen for me to believe either Ro or Carly would be attracted to him, or forgive him for his past. I mean, imagine that bachelor party in your head with Hunt or Scott---his smart ass attitude would have at least nicked the pride of Paul, Dusty and Jack. Instead, Paul, Dusty and Jack pretty much all threw off his scathing remarks and went on their merry way.

Whether that's that writing or the actor, I'm not sure.

• Members

I have to agree that Lindstrom is boring. Every time he knocks on Carly's see-through door, I reach for the remote. Part of it is storyline...nothing Craig does ever seems to matter much...but a lot of it is charisma, or lack of it. Scott Bryce's Craig was able to run the gamut from horrible villain harrassing Meg Ryan's Betsy to romantic lead in the Craig/Sierra days. Hunt Block's Craig was a one-note cartoon, but at least he was entertaining. JL is just...there. On a side note, I can't believe ANYONE thinks highly of John Howard's Paul Ryan. In the entire history of ATWT, I have NEVER seen a worse actor than the wooden Howard. Scott Holroyd was the perfect Paul for me.

• Members

You have a point. I suppose the speed of the relationship is very in-character. It was just jarring for me. Holden and Molly were in the background, working together, helping each other. There was nothing *overtly* sexual about their relationship. (Implicitly, it was there of course). I just wasn't expecting to see them hitting the sheets so soon.

Regarding Paul, I don't think RH is the problem. He does have some annoying mannerisms (I think he tends to deliver his lines all the same way), but I've never hated the way he played Paul. I just don't like the character and his irrational mood swings. Like the way he's been treating Em lately.

Speaking of Emily, I thought KMH did a bang-up job today. I like it when she gets to be smart and investigative.

I don't get why Jack is reluctant to let go of Janet when she's offering him an out. Why does he want to stay married to this woman if not to "save" her?

I also really like the role that All Angels Church is playing in the Mick story. By associating the story with a place (albeit a place we've never heard of before) it makes Oakdale feel like a real town.

Archived