ALL: "We're Gonna Turn This Show Back Around!"

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Is Chuck Pratt the father of Spencer Pratt from The Hills? It would explain some things.

Wall Street Journal: Soap opera fans are notoriously vocal. How much of their opinions and comments do you take into account when forming storylines?

Jill Farren Phelps: It depends — we certainly pay attention to what the fans say. There was once an old-timer in the business who said, “If they’re mad, that’s good, they’re watching.” Sometimes you have to take into account that the thing that people say they don’t like, is the same thing that’s keeping them glued to the set.

• Members

I understand it, too. An enraged audience is an engaged audience. And sometimes fans do echo what others say aloud but not what they really think. Like my great-aunt who used to huff and puff over some neighbor's alleged indiscretions and then park herself by the window in order not to miss any of the comings-and-goings.

However, JFP is also a master of masking what she wants to do behind a lot of "well, this is what the focus groups want" BS.

• Members

The problem is "they're mad" can be very vague. Are they mad because their favorite couple is separated? Or are they mad because their favorite characters have all been killed off and those who are remaining are mob flunkies?

Even JFP went and apologized after the fact for some of her decisions as producer at GL, because she knew they had done damage to her show, and probably knew they'd taken away viewers.

Now we have GH, where viewers have left to the point where even huge promotion for Jonathan Jackson's return and James Franco's appearance did pretty much nothing. Franco's debut actually came with a ratings drop.

They've heavily declined compared to what they were earlier this year. Many of the posters who were once in the threads seem to have stopped watching or posting. I'm not sure how much message board posts say about viewers. OLTL had like a 50 page thread the week Nash died and Dorian took over BE, but their ratings didn't have a huge skyrocket.

• Members

Well, that's true. Unpopular storyline direction and complete arbitrary removal of popular character/actor from the canvas are two different beasts... and when merged together (JFP's killing off GL's Maureen Bauer and AW's Frankie Frame), things tend to get severely mucked up.

• Members

And yet what's happened with ratings and overall viewership. Nothing. I see GH for example getting the same 1.9 to 2.1's they were getting in the spring. Perhaps that's good that they haven't dropped but I wold have expected a bump up considering JJ's Lucky is back and James Franco has graced the show. I also see a lot of discusson on Y&R and that's hardly translated to viewers. Lots of complaining about Y&R, probably moreseo than any other show.

• Members

Very true. I can't possibly understand the same old, tired comment Don't watch if you don't like it from some people. People who hate what they're seeing, but are watching. Thus contradicting themselves.

Not that I can explain why GH hasn't bled more viewers. I can't. People are obviously very patient. Or something.

• Members

GH hasn't bled viewers? The ratings and viewers and demos are down from last year same time. Oddly if you look at Y&R as bad as people say the show is, they have actually lost a much smaller percentage and the demos for them have been relatively stable, in fact I think they've even gained in the 18-49 demo from a year ago. But 6 months from now who know what will happen.

Archived