October 19-23, 2009

Toups

• Members

Well I am just loving DOL I didn't start watching again until everyone here kept saying how good it is and it is one show that doesn't annoy me while I'm watching. I am a huge fan of the ones who got the pink slip Mary Beth and Steve so wasn't happy about that but I'm trying to catch up on the history I've missed...

My predictions: 1. Y/R...2 DOL? or BB hoping for DOL, so which ever one doesn't get that 2 spot then #3 will do as for #4. OLTL I'd like to see them rise up they have some good stories I hear from DayTime Confidential's Podcast so? I like Ron Carlivati...ATWT I'd like to rise I fear they will cancel them no matter what so I watch to keep them in the game,

In my mind I want GH to stay at 5 but in my heart I don't want them to be at the bottom of the barrel so ??? I loathe and despise what the writers have done and continue to do with so many of my favorite characters in crappy storylines...I despise how they did Greg Vaughn I'm also a huge fan of Jonathan Jackson and want him to play w/Elizabeth awhile long before the cah cah hits the fan...GH is a tough watch..But they have been losing viewers at a rate of GH has been losing viewers at a rate at an average of -.2 yearly since 2000 & continues to lose viewers at the same rate. Which means their projected ratings are spot on this is what happens when you try to train your audience to accept whatever is presented to them without even trying to please your customers its hard to feel sorry for them but I do for the actors who are giving it their all:

Sept. 2009- Aug. 2010- 1.9

Sept. 2010- Aug. 2011- 1.7 (ratings Passions was cancelled at)

Sept. 2011- Aug. 2010- 1.5 (lower than Guiding Light)

AMC I find it very difficult to watch at times so I go a weeks without watching then come back.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes, Days is the counter-argument...but not baised on a few weeks of bumps. Days has pulled off a sustained growth and maintenance in a time when no other show managed that. Days actually managed to grow back some of its audience.

In that sense, Days offers a lot of hope.

But even Days can't yet be taken as evidence of long-term viability. Days' absolute numbers and demographics are still low (although Roger Newcomb has been doing a fine job of placing daytime ratings in the context of primetime...and they don't look so bad in that light)--as are all the soaps--and that puts the genre as a whole at risk. Moreover, Days is not owned by its network. So I'll be very eager and hopeful for its renewal by NBC. Because if NBC cancels a show that is hanging on, that will be further evidence that the broadcast networks lack the wherewithal and motivation to save daytime soaps.

As for your comment " It mixes housewives entering the workforce with the rise of cable and the Internet all as if one has to do with the others."...I don't see how that is a bad/incorrect thing. All those forces, and others, in combination explain the state of the genre today.

• Members

I am glad at least ATWT held steady at 1.8. I thought they might fall.

ATWT

Monday: 1.7/2,298,000

Tuesday: 1.8/2,459,000

Wednesday: 1.7/2,287,000

Thursday: 1.8/2,474,000

Friday: 1.9/2,717,000<------The beginning of the Jack Snyder/Katie Snyder/Brad Snyder/Carly story. The cliffhanger was Jack shooting Brad. The highest numbers of the week! Next week looks like a big week for ATWT...hopefully...lol.

• Members

DAYS didn't lose very much, so that's good. I'm hoping they won't lose any more.

I guess AMC is bringing in people who don't know very much about the show but see all the gimmicks going on in each episode. I don't mean to speak for anyone but it's hard for me to believe a fan who has seen more than a year or two of the show, or less, would enjoy it now. I watched yesterday seeing Erica talk about how they were going to drug Adam into having a psychotic episode, and my heart broke.

• Members

Kudos to Days. Holding on to its audience. Looks like it will also may become the no. 3 overall soap and the no. 2 soap in the 18-49 women demos. ABC must be ticked off as hell. It has everything riding on JJ's return and Franco's stint for November sweeps. Days is going to have woman up to face the challenge on. May the best soap win!

• Members

Pfft....and CBS cancelled GL for a show that is getting even lower 18-49 demos than the soap was....oh wait...its cheaper to produce though...whatever

Oh dear gawd....ok...thanks for the update CarlD...glad I missed it....lol...the show that is...lol

• Members

I really don't think GH will have an increase because of James Franco's stint. I watch a lot of those news magazine shows and they have not mentioned it what so ever and those that I know that are fans of his and don't watch soaps have no desire to start watching a soap just because he is on it.

Archived