Who's the best "Scene Chewer" on your show?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Susan Lucci (AMC)

Robin Strasser (OLTL)

Carolyn Hennesy (GH)

Jeanne Cooper, Judith Chapman (Y&R)

Leslie Anne Down and (famously) Darlene Conley (B&B)

Kim Zimmer (GL).

Let me say, I don't think scenery chewing is bad. In fact, I think it is essential for a soap to be a soap.

• Members

What's the difference between scenery-chewing (good?) and over-acting that people view as bad?

My answer:

I view good "scenery-chewing" as acting, not over-acting. I've never felt that Kim Zimmer over-acted. The character of Reva ia larger than life. So is Jonathan, when people say Tom Pelphrey overacts. It is not over-acting, it is true to the character.

Bad over-acting is when someone seems "fake" in their emotions. Cady McClain is usually a fine actress, but sometimes she flutters her eyes dramatically and that is so fake, and I think it's meant to come across a little fake but it goes way beyond that and just gets really annoying.

As for best scenery-chewer (which is good) on my show, ATWT, hmmm ...

I think I would actually go with Ewa Da Cruz (Vienna).

• Members

I CANNOT look at this girl's name without saying "Eww-uh". EVA EVA EVA, SFK!

I don't want to sound like one of those annoying people who try to sound like an authority when they were too young (or not born yet) to have witnessed it themselves, but from the many episodes I've gotten my hands on, Beverlee McKinsey, Douglass Watson, and Victoria Wyndham could chew the HELL out of a scene and make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. Not at all about overacting, but they were so committed to the material and invested in their characters, the blood would really get to boiling and it was riveting! There was one fight between Iris and Mac in particular when Iris screamed on him, my stomach jumped like it would when my parents were fighting. :o

• Members

Scene chewing to me is a good thing.

I remember on ATWT during Doug Marland's days. He'd have big scenes at the Mona Lisa or Fashions or the hospital cafeteria. Several characters would come and go and different stories were going on.

Liz Hubbard would be there as Lucinda. She may be in the background and not have a single line. With her body language,her facial expressions and her chuckles she would react to what was going on around her. You couldn't help but watch her.

I miss the old days!

Archived