Proposed Soaps Over The Years

• Members

Hard to see Houghton and Lankford as series leads. He was pretty raw back then, even though he'd done Y&R for several years before that. While she was capable with romantic conflict and playing supporting, I thought she was dreadful the few times she was put in the spotlight with heavy drama (such as the season 1 episode where Ginger has a stalker). The problem with a Knots spinoff would've been where to place it on the schedule. Ideally you would've wanted to air it right after the mother show in order to nurture it, but Knots was a 10pm fixture. I remember they tried moving it to 9pm one season, but it was a failure and it was quickly moved back to 10pm.

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

True. However, in a way, I could relate to that. Whenever there has been conflict between myself and Mama Khan, or between she and my older brother, my mother always -- ALWAYS -- has been proven right. Is it annoying? Yes. What we as children forget, though, is that our parents have been in the exact same predicament as we, and they know exactly how it will end for us, too.

• Members

I could see them not being leads as much as just being used as part of an ensemble to introduce new characters.

I thought James Houghton did a fine job, but the material for Kenny was always weak. We knew nothing about Kenny, other than that he was a manwhore and he loved Ginger, and he liked music.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

In addition to Miss Susan and Hawkins Falls which both made it to air,NBC also announced in Dec 1950, Family Doctor and Candy and Bill.

Family Doctor was to be written by John Haggart and produced/directed by Al McCleery who had worked in radio with the prolific Hummerts,who created many radio soaps.

Candy and Bill was a domestic comedy packaged by Carol Irwin an ad agency exec who had also worked in radio soaps.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • Members

From a February 1990 Weekly

Las Vegas, the glitz capitol of the world, is due to become the backdrop/on location site of a new half-hour sydndicated daytime drama. The series, only with a working title Las Vegas Daytime, is still in its embryonic stages of development.

Victor Perillo, the executive producer and co-creator of the series with Jack Capece, has a longtime involvement in television. He was for many years the agent of Gary coleman and packaged all of the diminutive star's features and movie of the week specials.

When he was an agent in the midwest, he displayed his canny eye for talent when he discovered several regional actors and took them to New York fand future stardom. Today they are among the top stars in daytime and include Kim Zimmer, Nancy Lee Grahn, Andrea Evans, and Steve Fletcher.

"The series," reveals Perillo, "will dramatize the (background) story of the people of Las Vegas. We're getting away from all the stereotypes and cliches of the city. We've all seen the Las Vegas showgirl stereotype as a dimwit, but one of our characters is a showgirl who is a lawyer with an interesting (background) story and involvement."

The "bible" (the complete history and descriptions of characters and their interrelationships) and their storylines are now being finalized. The head writer is the noted author (of 12 books), and screenwriter Sharlene Keel whose television credits include screenplays for Fantasy Island and Dayas of Our Lives. Her novel Rituals was the basis of the soap of the same title. She will be working with co-head writer Lynn Osborne, who was a producer of Days and casting director of Rituals.

keel says, "I'm excited about working with the creative Victor Perillo and with the multifaceted characters he's developing. I'm also excited about living and working in Las Vegas and digging into the real lives of its real people."

The series will be produced under the auspices of Corday Productions (which owns Dayas of Our Lives) and Ken Corday, the executive producer of Days, will serve as producer.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

12/31/85 Digest

Doug Marland, head writer of As the World Turns, will be writing the screenplay adaptation of the Andrew Greeley best-seller, Cardinal Sins, for an ABC mini-series. Cardinal Sins is a first - it will be a four week mini-series for ABC daytime television. Keep posted to this column for more news...Marland is also developing a new daytime soap for CBS television.

Archived