Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

I couldn't prove it, but I think a lot of Matessa fans thought Kurt McKinney was really hot, and had no idea Vanessa had been in charge of her own orgasm since 1980.

The thing with rabid uber-fans is that the couple ends up being so "perfect" for each other that if someone decides to leave, almost by necessity both actors go. If Maeve hadn't come back in '97 (I think, it starts with Michelle and Bill's graduation), Matt would've mostly likely faded into the background without much of a whimper.

As for Matt---(as I've recently tortured myself watching '07-'09 for Billy/Vanessa clips), it is creepy how he just hangs around town after the divorce, being Dinah's "friend" and trying to jump back into the sack with her whenever she breaks up with someone else.

Not that anyone could match Chris Bernau, but Ron Raines was about as subtle as a jackhammer. It would've been awesome to see Vanessa scheme her way to the top, figuring it was long past time a Chamberlain showed them how it was done.

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Posted (edited)

I never knew that it was an unpopular opinion that I liked Ron Raines.  His scenes in the final week with Phillip were heartbreaking.  I liked his chemistry with Annie.  And, I totally bought his sibling relationship with Alexandra.  He was involved in a lot of stories that were unappealing, but I thought as an actor he had loads of charisma.  I've seen him on Broadway twice, and it is really a shame that they didn't let Alan sing more often.  It might have seemed out of character, but Ron Raines vocal tone was lovely. 

Ironically, the only lingering memory that I have of Matt and Vanessa was how shocking it was when they both let their hair go gray.  In hindsight, it was a controversial move for two actors on a show that was trying to sell Clairol hair products.  

Which reminds me of the book Soap Opera: The Inside Story.  Alecia Swasy, the author, makes an excellent point, that the payout for civil lawsuits over issues like toxic shock and formaldehyde exposure in women's products is really what forced P&G out of producing soap operas.  Because they were losing more money to litigation than they would gain from promoting products through daytime dramas.  Regardless of the quality of the program, she suggests, that ratings would've sustained the production.  It is the ultimate story of corperate greed, because after infecting 2,000 women with Toxic Shock Syndrome, P&G's answer was not to stop producing tampons, but just stop promoting them on daytime TV.

I think the perspective is important, because as annoying as fan bases, or writers may be, they were a very small varible in the decision to cancel GL.

Edited by j swift

• Members

I think Vanessa's hair went gray as soon as Maeve was no longer on contract. I respected that she just said [!@#$%^&*] it as soon as they had no real hold on her.

I think Ron was a likeable presence but just not believable as a villain, or as a ladies' man. 

• Members

Re: Ron Raines, I still can't figure out how a virtual unknown actor to daytime audiences (but not to musical theater fans) was cast in such a pivotal role under JFP's watch. My feeling is JFP wanted to cast one of her friends as Alan but the friend was not interested and turned down the part.

• Members
Posted (edited)

In the past, I've heard/read rumors suggesting as much.

Regardless, RR always felt like someone the show (and we) had to settle for, since filling Chris Bernau's shoes was just impossible.

I agree!

The CBS soaps, including those produced by P&G, always appealed to my intellect and sense of good theater/drama, while DAYS and SaBa appealed to my heart, with the ABC soaps falling somewhere in between.  For sure, I've always thought that ABCD had the more colorful characters while the CBS/P&G shows had the better storylines.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Well, it corresponds to the German episode 2481, the 31st episode of '89, and four episodes before the start of Alan Michael and Harley's wedding.

I'd forgotten that Nadine was Alan's "nurse/attendant" and had a fling with Ross before latching on to Billy. 

• Members
Posted (edited)

In regards to Marcy Walker, it's interesting rewatching her time on Guiding Light as I have been thanks to YouTube. The writers threw Tangie with nearly every character and in nearly every storyline, and nothing seemed to work. It certainly wasn't for a lack of trying on Walker's part though.

Annette

Edited by GL Oldtimer

• Members

Didn't JFP hire Marcy Walker to save her job? I do feel sorry for Marcy Walker because she did her best but the writers had no idea what to do with her. From her comments, I don't think Walker ever forgave JFP for her treatment at GL.

• Members

If you're going to hire a "name" actor for your show, don't just throw them on the air and cross your fingers.  GIVE THEM A [!@#$%^&*] CHARACTER.  Who are they?  What is their background?  What do they want (not just in a particular situation, but in general)?  What always stops them from getting it?

If GL had bothered to answer these questions for Tangie - along with why anyone would be named "Tangie" - then maybe - just maybe - she would've had an actual drive and not just flittered from character to character.

Yep, and like you said, @chrisml, MW appeared not to have forgotten or forgiven JFP for it either.  And you're not alone in not blaming MW for feeling that way!  I think if JFP had been upfront with MW, told her WHY she needed her to join GL, MW might have gone along with it, if only as a favor to JFP for all their years together at SaBa.  I know I would've if I had been in her shoes.  But I suspect JFP didn't tell her, because she knew there was a very good chance that MW would've passed.

• Members

If they wanted to bring Marcy Walker on as a love-interest for Josh, they should've made Walker character a recast of Morgan. At least the character would have a past with Josh, she was connected to the Spaulding's and Bauer's clans. 

• Members
Posted (edited)

I don't think they needed to make MW's character a recast of anyone who'd been on the show before.  Bringing her on as a brand-new character was fine.  They just needed to do more with her beforehand beyond giving her a stripper name.

Edited by Khan