Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Man, 89-90 Guiding Light is kicking ass! I'm actually a little more than skeeved out by Roger/Mindy, but I'd forgotten how likeable Kimberly Simms is in the role. At least before this war with Alex starts. 

• Members

I started watching the show in 1989 and thought it remained very strong until about 1995. I know a lot of people feel the show started to shift downward in 1993, but I didn't feel that way until 1995. That's mostly thanks to the fact I was intrigued by the Roger and Holly pairing. Once things ended between them, my interest started to wane.

It's very disappointing when quality doesn't translate into ratings.

Annette

• Members

Bev looks like Garbo trying to be undercover..or someone's cleaning lady who got gifted a coat....damn Mark Lewis was so f*cking cute...I can't believe he was straight but alas..he is and happily married to Frankie Hughes all these years. He teaches drama near me, I wonder if his students know he used to be a heart throb for girls and a lot of gay boys at that time. Ferrel is so naturally cute too, too bad that things kind of went south for her in real life. 

• Members

I am still watching 1993... Together with The Doctors 1968. These are my two soaps right now.

And I love love love Guiding light so far. I hope the quality doesn't go too bad soon, as people have said it will. 

• Members

I'm sure I enjoyed it the first time around, but the last 5-6 years of GL just killed a lot of feeling that I had for the show. But be still my heart---Rick Hearst. And this is the Harley I really liked. 

• Members

Yes, the show really rebounded for a few years. The return of Michael Zaslow and Maureen Garrett helped significantly, and for a little while, TGL felt like...TGL again. It didn't last, alas, but it was Springfield's last hurrah, and great while it lasted.

• Members

@vetsoapfan I think it was the combination of MG/MZ return and Robert Calhoun as EP that was the shot in the arm GL needed after some really bad years.

From what I've seen either online or in real time, I'd say the two golden eras were Potter/Dobsons/Marland and Calhoun/Long/Curlee.