Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yes, both Papa and Bert referred to Mike as "Michael".

Once upon a time, the P & G soaps loosely crossed over to one another. As you mentioned, Dru Mitchell was in Oakdale at one point, and Mike Bauer took Hope to Bay City from Springfield (or maybe TGL was still Selby Flats versus Springfield...?), shortly after Hope's mother, Julie Conrad, killed herself in a mental institution early in 1966.

• Members

I have a memory of some young fella. standing, straddling a motorcycle, at a crossroads & the sign points this way to Bay City & that way to Oakdale, etc. and so forth. What is unusual about it is that AW was NBC & ATWTGL were CBS! Of course now Wally Kurth is working for both DOOL & GH.

Edited by Tonksadora
DOOL not ATWT

• Members

September 1981

4 'Light' actors fired NEW YORK - The soap opera youth mania has delivered a crushing blow to "Guiding Light." Several performers with long-running records have been given their walking papers. They include Barbara Berjer and Robert Mill! (Barbara and Adam Thorpe), Stefan Schnabel (Steve Jackson), and Mart Hulswit (Ed Bauer). Hulswit, a 12-year veteran of the serial, was not particularly dismayed or surprised by his out-of-work notice. "I've seen changes brewing for at least the past year," says Hulswit. "I was told that there is going to be a change in the show's format and focus for what the producers believe to be a better, more competitive product, one that's more successful in attracting a new, younger audience. To that end, the show is phasing down or moving out characters or actors most associated with the 'old show.' It's a bold move that will result in an entirely different 'Guiding Light' within the next year. "I don't feel negative. In 1969, after doing stage productions for Joe Papp's New York Shakespeare Festival, dozens of nighttime guest-starring roles, and several films, I chose to work in soaps in order to give my family financial security. During my years on the show, however, the work became a satisfying creative endeavor. Recently, I became aware that I was only remaining on the show for the money, because my character had become a mere figurehead. And that is not compatible with being an artist.