GL At the Apex of Quality, a 1992 Salute

• Members

By Marlena De Lacroix

In March 1992, Guiding Light reached the apex of soap quality, that perfect blend of excellence in writing, acting and production. I thought it had everything going for it to reach #1 in the ratings. Here’s my column from Soap Opera Weekly, March 2, 1992, Volume 3, Issue 9, in which I analyzed this blueprint for building a perfect soap. A framed copy of this column hung over the desk of GL’s then executive producer Jill Farren Phelps for the duration of her stay there.

Intelligence, integrity, heart — GL had all three. It was a soap that not only deserved to rise to the top of the ratings, but should have stayed there forever. What a tragedy we are losing America’s oldest and historically beloved soap on Friday. Farewell, Guiding Light. You were glorious!

Here’s my column as it appeared originally. ]

Join me in enjoying the memories.......

http://www.marlenadelacroix.com

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks for posting, Marlena!

Early 90's GL was simply some of the greatest soap opera ever written, and I'm glad this was when I started getting into soaps. There was a magic about GL in the early 90's that I've rarely or never seen duplicated on soaps since.

This era of GL was definitely the show's last "golden" era, and the writing team back then just rocked.

Great casting, great writing, great directing, just great everything. Unfortunately, never is sustainable for very long, but those few years in the early 90's were just magnificent.

I'll forever have deep respect for Curlee and Demorest, and yes, Jill Farren Phelps. Though controversial and though she made some bad decisions, I've always believed she has talent, but she'll never get credit for the "good" she's done in her career from some.

I wish some network or some site like Hulu would start re-airing GL episodes from the early 90's...

• Members

Le sigh. I had started taping and archiving GL in January 1991, the very first day the lighthouse opening debuted. In March 1992, right as this article posted, I lost my collection in a house fire. I continued archiving for several years after, and while there were some really good years in there, nothing can make up for the gold I lost in that fire. I would give my right arm if Hulu or Youtube or someone would re-air those years.

• Members

Hey all, Miss Marlena was on my radio show, Brandon's Buzz, talking about this very topic this morning. You can catch the repeat at http://brandonsbuzz.com/brandons-buzz-radio-the-archives/september-16-2009-a-final-farewell-to-guiding-light-with-connie-passalacqua-hayman/ or you can download it as a podcast from the iTunes music store.

Archived