The Game Show Thread!

bellcurve

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Carol Wayne died under mysterious circumstances in the 80's. She drowned on vacation with the guy who was also with Diane Linkletter when she jumped from her building to her death in 1969. You can read about it on Wikipedia.

Carol's second husband was producer of Celebrity Sweepstakes.

Carol has a sister actress Nina Wayne who looks like her, but was a brunette. They both played ditzy roles on shows like Bewitched, I Dream Of Jeannie etc...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Members

TPIR is celebrating the decades this week, with 70s Monday, 80s Tuesday, 90s Wednesday, etc, and I'm shocked that they went all out and actually used music cues from the 70s and 80s today for nearly all of the prizes/games along with other style things like the game boards, show title card, and the opening captions like "HOUR POWER." That 80s TPIR music is just...*sigh* brings me back to grandma's kitchen.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Ah okay, thanks. I just watched the first round of TTTT. I'm not sure what I think yet. It looks like they kept the traditional structure of the show, and the set is pretty nice (the TTTT silhouette always gets to me, and I LOVE that the floor lights up with the number of the real person once its revealed). Anthony isn't a bad host, and they seem to be getting the right type of people as contestants and panel. NeNe shines in this role, IMO.

Some things jumped out at me right away. There doesn't really seem to be a point to Anthony's mom being there. The strain to get a laugh out of every little thing might dumb the game down a bit. In the Taylor Swift's ex round, I picked the right guy immediately because the two impostors looked way more comfortable with being obnoxious for the sake of a joke. The real guy was more reserved.

I'm gonna give all of these a chance, though, except for Celebrity Feud because I absolutely loathe Steve Harvey and will never watch his version of the show, ever. I've been back on a classic game show kick lately, really really digging deep into original WML? from the 50s and 60s. I'd love a quiet, slow-moving revival of that geared towards an older audience on Hallmark Channel or even CBS.

And as much as I love Betty White, anyone who is IN the know knows who the real queen of TTTT is...

• Members

The mom is a scorekeeper and IMO not needed. Just a waste of time and I agree way too much of trying to get a laugh. I picked the Taylor Swift guy too. I thought which guy would she date….and the second guy on that segment was gay….I loved how gay and proud he was about letting everyone know…LOL

• Members

Great share, Carl, and it's a pretty positive piece on the genre. Nearly 30 years later, and four of the games they featured are still going strong, and tons of retired formats have been brought back over the years. That's one of the things that I've always loved about game shows, that a cancellation notice means nothing, and a single format can be hugely successful through different eras. Back when GSN aired the older shows, you could watch a two-hour block of To Tell the Truth and have four very different shows.

I'm still on my game show kick, and I'm loving it. I watched a few episodes of the 70s Name That Tune a few nights ago and instantly fell in love. I'm not sure if a version of that would work nowadays because they used so many old standards that people just knew. Music isn't really like that anymore, but they did have those singing game shows a few years ago, so who knows.

I miss kid game shows. Nickelodeon had a goldmine in the late 80s and early 90s, then struck it rich again by simply rerunning them for 10-15 years afterward. Kirk Fogg has gone on record saying he would have hosted Legends for years and years and years and that he's all for bringing it back. I think he's going to be in the movie based on the show.

Archived