B&B: Week of August 17th

• Members

CBS locally is now showing B&B via an HD feed. It is still low-def and 4:3 aspect ratio, but it looks terrific. (Much better than it did when they showed it, until recently, via their low-def feed). My guess is that, since B&B is wholly Bell-owned, that they'd use an HD version as a bargaining chip in their next license negotiations. "You can't cut us by 50% if you want us to go HD. Only cut us by 25%, and we'll throw in a beautiful HD version".

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Picture me dumb but what is the difference? HDTV is all about the better resolution so HD cameras are bascially the switch, huh?

Is there sth. else left besides shooting in widescreen instead of letterbox format? Lighting, make-up etc. all comes hand in hand with the better cameras, I would say as a tech-novice.

• Members

it's about signal quality, sending out a true HD signal to a reciever and an HDTV television makes for the 1080p experience, sound, audio etc.

It's like how you can have a DVD player and use regular red white and yellow, coloured component or even HDMI and it upconverts to something that is comparable to HDTV and looks good, but, you can only get true HD from an HD source. You can try to upscale it and it looks great, but if you want HD HD it changes how everything is produced, submitted and sent to the tv itself. So for the technology and also maybe set upgrades in order to look great in HD (because HD can really highlight flaws) also there are different ways of doing makeup, lighting etc to go for the whole cinematic feel, which, done right is supposedly quite captivating (I've heard great stuff about GHHD).

"The Medium is the Message" - Marshall McLuhan

• Members

Crazily, my affiliate switched (on its HD channel) back to the lo-def feed after Y&R was done! They did this until a few months ago. I complained and complained. (They also got a new transmitter coincident with the digital switchover, so I don't delude myself that it had anything to do with me). Now they leave the HD feed on until Guiding Light is over at 4 pm. CBS looks much better. This is a local issue.

• Members

The Logan girls were HOT. Wow.

Eric and Stephanie must go. Eric started as a Los Angeles version of John Abbott and he had turned into this? His scenes with the Logan girls made me feel sorry for John McCook. Eric looked like a crazy old fool. Eric should leave town with Stephanie or die in bed (excellent idea) with Donna.

The Casper thing is beyond stupid, but LAD could play a woman in Brooke and Taylor's age. Nick looks like her dad, however I prefer him as a funny guy.. Who can forget last summer?

Whip Jones saved the show, while I find the Bill/Katie pairing very boring.

Archived