Y&R: Episodes discussion, week of August 17

• Members

And these writers wanted to write him off. I am glad he is getting the chance to show everyone how talented he is. He is a prime example of why you just don't toss a talented vet for the latest 20 something stud. A few months ago they wanted him to go recurring. I wonder if they have changed their minds.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Doug will most likely go back to being a glorified extra when this Patty Jane nonsense of a storyline wraps up, sadly.

Patty Jane needs to be sent to prison or a nuthouse off-screen, she's not redeemable at all anymore, IMO. Keeping her and whitewashing her crimes would just make her useless and another Kevin Fisher at this point.

• Members

I'll chime in as well to say these past couple of weeks have been quite terrible! :o

By the way I've got a question about Heather. Did they de-SOARS her right? I just remembered April's murder trial and clearly remember a teenage actress playing Heather having a nightmare where April was sentenced to death just today...this would have been what late 1993 or early 1994?

• Members

Maria Arena Bell is the Co-EP, that's what.

The woman is obviously so drunk on power and its one of the many reasons why this show is being destroyed...

Nothing to mention, I don't think production is doing its part well in executing must of these already atrocious storylines.

Not like Maria has any experience in head writing or producing either...

Perhaps if she just focued on being Co-EP and gave this show to a better Head Writer, things would be good. But I'm convinced giving her this much power wasn't a good thing at all.

• Members

Yes, Y&R is clearly missing a strong, dominant, and cohesive vision.

I'd prefer the EP and HW to be two seperate people, unless your name is William J. Bell and you created this show. This way, one person doesn't have too much power and there's always some type of creative balance. Ideally, both the EP and HW would work well together and do whatever it takes for the benefit of the show.

• Members

Conboy seemed more like a technical producer, while Kenney seemed to be more like a story producer. During both of their EP tenures, Bill Bell still lived in Chicago, so they really held down the fort in Los Angeles.

There was an old article posted a while ago where Kenney said he had to change Conboy's lighting because it was too dark or something. Kenny seemed a lot less flashy than Conboy, and it was during Kenney's time there that the show shifted from the Fosters and Brooks to the Abbots, Williams, and Newmans. That was Bill's idea, but I think Kenny also played a big role in that shifting. Kenney previously worked with Bill at DAYS too.

Things ended on good terms between Kenney and Bell, and I think Bill said in his interview with the Archive of American Television that by the end, they were just going in seperate directions creatively and they just parted ways.

Things didn't end well between Conboy and Bell though. Allegedly, Conboy tried to have Bell removed as HW from his own show. Bill didn't have anything to say about him in his interview with the Archive of American Television, he said something to the effect that if he didn't have anything nice to say, he wouldn't say anything at all, regarding Conboy.

• Members

Wow. Between that and some of what happened with Capitol and the GL disaster, I don't know if I should have a positive opinion of his work. I guess he must have had his moments. And then his SB run, which I don't know very much about.

• Members

Carl, Conboy's production style was very darkly lit, but the reason for that was to focus attention on the actor and their emotions, rather than the backdrop scenery, and it WORKED. Kenney might have lightened things up a LITTLE, but not in any huge way. And that was a wise move on his part, he TWEAKED.. and didn't OVERHAUL. The thing I loved about Conboy's style was it's FLUIDITY. The background score was also more prominent than it is today, which I also liked. His style was rife with LOOOOOONG reaction shots shot at a VERY close range, which for me, sucked you into the emotional aspect of the characters incredibly well. OF course, if you had bad actors, a thing like that would have backfired in a huge way, but luckily, Bill Bell was an expert casting director.. and it worked like a dream.

• Members

GOOD GRIEF, I just got through with today's episode, and I'm trying to type through tears, here... so forgive. How this show can have a week so full of ca-ca, and then pull brilliance like this out of their ass on friday mystifies me. Heinle actually ACTED today, that tells me that she's capable, she's just LAZY. Her confrontation with Colleem reminded me of the classic Valene/Abby scene from Knots Landing ("I can have him anytime I WANT him!" )The scooby stuff was FF material, as usual... this is the main thing bringing this show down right now. But it makes me wonder if theyr'e not going to have Tom Fisher's safe deposit box be the place where that painting is being kept. But the tour de force.. DOUG DAVIDSON. This man is BRILLIANCE personified, when Haiduk said "It's me, your Patty-cake".... and he dissolved into grief and horror, so did I. I think as crazy and cartoonish as Patty Jane has been, I can accept that. People who are mentally ill are soemtimes like that... I KNEW that she didn't INTEND to kill Summer, heck, 90 percent of viewers thought it impossible for a child to have an allergic reaction like that unless she actually CONSUMED the peanuts.... to me, if she was trying to kill the child, she would have secretly FED the child peanuts, and not simply kissed her. Haiduk played her breakdown with aplomb, and turned my dislike of her into sympathy, all in the course of one scene. I cna't wait to see the next installment of the Paul/Patty Jane story, waht riveting emotional drama... if you didn't feel something watching today's episode, you are officially a cold and heartless android. Lily's SL went from lackluster yeasterday to GREAT today... Kahlil played the fear well, and the other patient talking with her was a nice, realistic touch. It made me cry , too, when the nurse talked about his children living out of state and him having nobody there to help him through. Whoever wrote today's episode needs a damn gold star.

Archived