Y&R: Potpourri Thread

• Members

I don't think its any coincidence that most of what's going on with the show right now has been posted about theoretically in excessive amounts on boards, including SON, for MONTHS now, and now these same basic ideas are somehow inserted into the show. There's nothing wrong with stealing ideas, it's been going on since the beginning of time, but damn, don't be so selective as to who you steal from, and at least try to be more creative and subtle with it.

Then there's the matter of pandering to rabid fanbases. Like the Shick and Phick stuff. Maria is afraid to make one choice and stick with it, because she doesn't want to feel the anger to a big rabid fanbase, so she prolongs this inane quad and has Nick bouncing from one women to the next, week after week. There's also no end in sight for this.

Of course, not all people are being listened to, if they were, Maria would actually have to you know, WRITE for half of her cast on a more consistent basis.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Seriously, would anyone really be opposed to someone, be it a new visionary EP or a new visionary HW, comping in and overhauling certain aspects of this show that aren't working? I mean like, getting rid of actors/characters that either aren't working, or stopped clicking with the show for a while, telling tighter storylines with a smaller contract cast, and possibly bringing in well-developed new characters to tell fresh storylines played by great new talent?

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if someone came in and get rid of a FEW vets and some non-essential characters and reshaped the entire show. They could then use their existing cast and tell tighter storylines with greater balance and bring in a few new well developed characters that come with low cost acting talent. Also, the new EP or HW would push for diverse storytelling and attempt to bring some sort of innovation back to the show, while remaining respectful to the show's roots.

• Members

Maybe I'm naive but I don't think Phick/Shick is about not picking a side foor TPTB. I'm sure there is an end choice for them; they found the "money" in that story with those 4 characters and they are trying to milk it, only they are going about it all wrong. The back and forth shouldn't have exceeded a certain amount of time, they pushed it past its threshold. They definitly should have had a different approach to that story in my opinion. Regress each character then progress them again at least a bit and at least as far as their dynamics with each other. Stay with the formula of "the more things change the more they stay the same" but you don't strip the characters of too much intelligence and growth they have experienced since the beginning of this hot mess this much and blame it on jealousy, mental illness, compulsive cheating, and glutton for punishment. That takes away any rooting the viewer can do for each character when it's all said and done

• Members

How much can you milk from a story that's been going on for FOUR years? Bill Bell told long stories that had lasting effects for years, but there were breaks and characters were allowed to go into seperate paths with other lovers down the line.

This inane quad has been front-burner for the past FOUR years, do they seriously think people aren't getting sick of it and there isn't a sense of burnout from both ends of the spectrum?

• Members

I think that's going to happen naturally due to limited money. Seems likely some people won't come to an agreement with the show and some will be sacrificed to give better offers to those higher on the totem pole. Does anyone know who else is up for contract renewal this year?

• Members

The thing is, this regime has shown that they don't know how to "pare down" and use half of their cast. If they can't do it logically, I'm fearful of when budgetary reasons and contractual reasons forces them to go that route. The types of storylines they're also telling are deeply polarizing to the point where people either really love it, or really hate it. The show seems to be attacking a more and more negative fanbase across the net.

I think it goes back to my post about having a strong visionary in charge. Someone who comes in, pares the the cast and writing team, and tries to use the existing cast to the best of their potential. Also, someone who has strong ideas, knows where he/she is clearly heading and the types of character he/she wants to create. Maria Arena Bell, Hogan Sheffer, and Scott Hamner haven't shown me that the can do anything I've talked about in this post. I'm fearful of more damage done to this show and its budget by their hands and scattered vision.

• Members

Aaaah, you wound me! You have NO idea how many many many classic full episodes of Y&R exist there whom fans have. I mean, some people seem to have everything from the 80s until the early 00s... but 99% do not want to post them full, even though they spend tons of time editing clips together. :huh: I should know, I've asked enough times :lol: Weirdly enough, all the ABC soaps and even ATWT have posters who gladly post everything they have... but Y&R seems to be somewhat of a guarded show, while some posters do it because of time constraints, others are very stingy with it :lol: Sorry, I just go crazy thinking how much stuff we'd have if people posted them lol It's a shame! [/rant]

• Members

Aside from how utterly ridiculous it is that Rafe would suddenly stop pursuing his gut instinct for sex with Adam, let's talk about this story in terms of what it is instead of all the holes within the characters structures and the plot:

Why are Adam and Rafe talking in code in Monday's US show? Yeah, the whole "sexual tension" convo would be difficult, but wouldn't one of them just come out and say, "Let's have sex" or "I want you" or something? Hell, Ennis Delmar expressed himself better in 1970 than these two guys in 2009!

Is this what's supposed to be new and fresh and different Maria? Really? Because all I see is the same damn stuff. Head Writers and Executives who are too chickenshit to do a "gay story" justice.

Did CBS chop her balls off or did she not intend to tell this story the way it should have been told to begin with?

And even IF CBS chopped her balls off, why didn't she fight for the way the scene was written or done? Maybe not a sex scene, but definitely the kiss that was so bandied about(per Nelson Branco) or the two of them in bed after the fact?

And Rafe and Adam playing "Let's flip each others collars" does not a love scene make. You may as well have these grown men jumping up and down in bed and giving each other the Steven Carrington stare by the fireplace.

At least they played my favorite cue(that Melrose-esque one) in Monday's show during the Phick/Shick scenes.

• Members

I can't help but roll my eyes when someone from here says 'people need to get a life'. Think about the Otalia videos for example. Hello there, we spend a huge amount of hours on this board bitching and moaning about a damn show (and in some cases even more, the whole genre). Who says it's healthier than creating a video and posting it on youtube? Personally I thought the clip was funny. For all we know the person who created it just wanted some practice with Final Cut or whatever program they used.

Archived