Save the 'Light' Rally in NYC

• Members

I think it boils down to more the state of daytime in the last few years. There are still fans out there who love the shows but daytime more than any other genre is a couples domain these days. And next to that an actor domain. I think if this had been more of a couples rally or something you would have seen more.

You see more people rally around their couples or individual faves tahn you do anything these days. About the only time people take a show's side in anything these days is when the show is up against someone they don't like or something they don't like.

It is just rare these days to have fans who put the show first.

That is not a put down of fans or anything - it is just the way fans view daytime these days.

I mean just look at the boards a year ago befoer Otalia. I have seen many of the Otalia fans who just last year were saying that GL needed to be put out of it's misery and now they are fighting to keep it on because of Otalia.

I think they need to change the strategy of the rallies and reach out to the fan bases, and then they will get more people attend. It wouldn't hurt anyway.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You know, I'm laughing and crying at the same time with this story. Sad.

It's a two way street really. Soaps, like anything else, get what they give. If you aren't cranking out an excellent product, people aren't going to fight to keep it. There are on-line communities like this one where fans get to share their voices, but that doesn't represent the rack of daytime viewers like my grandparents who watch AMC daily out of habit while they have lunch, or like my mother who watched all of the ABC soaps from day one, had a subscription to soap opera digest, yet wasn't afraid to take a break when the soaps weren't worth watching. When you love your show you of course want it to be good and the great thing about soaps is that they're like double dutch, you can jump in and out and still catch the groove. But there are tons of casual viewers who just aren't *quite* that emotionally invested. And it's not like GL hasn't had AMPLE time to get its act together. If anything, let this be a study to other soaps, who, what, when, why, where, and how did this show go wrong and let's not make the same mistake.

• Members

Alot of the older people who watch too are probably just like my aunt.

She still watches all the CBS soaps just like she has for years. She turned 80 recently and has watched ATWT and GL since day one on television. She listed to GL on radio.

She says that everyday she follows her routine and turns them on, but she says they don't really offer her anything anymore. She just watches because she always has. I asked her the other if she was going to miss GL and she said no. I asked her what she would watch when it went off. She said probably Law & Order on TNT or the game show network or she may just keep watching CBS since she would already be watching ATWT anyway.

She said to her GL has been gone a long time ago.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Just a question -- considering GL's cancellation is due to financial reasons (as most cancellations of television shows are), wouldn't it have been better, say, when word about the cancellation seemed inevitable, for GL fans to rally together and organize FUND raising efforts nationwide?

I'm sorry, but rallying and petitioning CBS and Lifetime is not going change the fact that either network will NOT BE RECEIVING FINANCIAL PROFITS from this show!

Love and passion don't pay the rent, people! And they certainly don't warm the cockles of corporate America's heart, either!

• Members

Could the pickup of another year lease in Peapack possibly be for ATWT? If they know they have only been extended another year isn't it possible they could start using some of the same cost saving techniques that GL used in order to possibly get extended past 2010?

• Members

LMAO. It seems DC forgot they were the ones that posted about the renewal of the lease back in April. Which just brought them through 2009.

I don't see this as anything more then re-telling the same "rumors" from "inside sources".

I'm curious--at what point does the campaigning stop?

Archived