Save the 'Light' Rally in NYC

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, yeah, 30 seems puny. But on the other hand, hastily arranged -- single city -- Friday of a holiday weekend -- each person represents hundreds more who couldn't make it there.

I do think that that GL petition (didn't it get over 10,000 signatures) was more impressive...and maybe that should have stood for itself.

GL has been having a problem getting people to "come out" lately. Several reports from the Orlando fan sessions cited very low attendance in the stands.

I don't think in-person events are the way to go in this era.

I love how Chuck and Friday Night Lights were saved, in primetime. Both of them did it with corporate deals. For Chuck, Subways will now be embedded in the show (one of the characters will work there, and storylines will be woven around Subways). For FNL, DirectTV helped pay some of the freight.

I think if you're trying to rescue a show, you need to start with the financials. Then, the virtual protests. I think this in person stuff may be too yesteryear.

For example, I think the Nuke kissing ban disappeared, in part, after P&G had that phone comment line where people could call in for-or-against Nuke. Shortly after that, Nuke started kissing again. So, I think organized virtual protests make a lot more sense. (And please don't pillory me for mentioning Nuke...I cited it only as an effective example of organized virtual protest...whether or not you are on board with the story/characters/actors).

• Members

but I don't think it was hastly arranged. This had been around the net for a while. And looking at some of the photos, 30 seems like a generous number. I heard they tried to arrange it in some other cities but no one actually showed up.

The lifetime thing is odd and tacky considering yes, they've said they don't want the show, (and sorry, I don't believe in the super secret deal.) For the large amount of people registered on Guiding Light boards (I remember seeing WLS go on about the registerations on the Olivia and Natalia board) and the signatures, you'd except some sort of similar "internet force" like the Subway/Chuck thing, the Dollhouse fans, the Jerrico fans. But it's not been there. Maybe it really is the perfect example of how the internet soap world isn't reflective of the viewers.

• Members

Yeah. In person events can't be translated into money. I was big into the Save FNL movement. The way that worked was you could purchase little plastic footballs through a website and they would send them to NBC. They raised almost $16,000 and shipped almost 19,000 footballs. They also raised $2,000 for spinal cord charities (One of the main characters is paralyzed when injured in a football game) and they purchased nearly $1,000 worth of S1 DVD's to send to troops overseas. Everything the FNL fans did counted in someone's pocket.

And I'm sorry but the GLers really shot themselves in the foot by going to the Lifetime offices. They've officially achieved the same status as homeless people who perform poetry on the subway for change and tourists clad in "Shrek the Musical" t-shirts who stop in the middle of the sidewalk at lunchtime to read a map.

• Members

No Offense but people are very passionate about their soaps and have a very deep personal relationship with thm. They grew up with them, have invested decades of their lives in knowing the characters and frankly, the death of a soap is a LOSS. I know it's not the same as say, the loss of a parent but it IS a loss, it does hurt and it does require some time. Why criticize people when they are simly trying to hold out some hope? The reason we post on SON is because we care about our soaps and I don't think there is any reason to be cruel.

• Members

Well, it's about solidarity. perhaps nothing will happen but it is a symbolic gesture of support and honestly, probably of goodbye. Fans are expressing grief. I know that if AMC were cancelled tomorrow I would probably need to take a few days off work ( I had to take one when Dixie died on Pancake Day) and I would def. attend a rally on its behalf.

• Members

I have watched soaps for 39 years now and not once have I ever taken a day off work over a firing, a character death, or a cancellation. And I have seen many many faves come and go.

I think there is a love for your soaps and a passion for them, but there is also over the top obsession. I can remember hearing tales of people who have threatened actors and characters, a woman who walked up to Eileen Fulton and began beating her with her purse and stuff. I can remember the girls yelling "Rape Me Luke" at Tony Geary back in the late 70's and early 80's.

I'm sorry some fans just take it too far. Yes we love our soaps and we love them like family members and we cry at characters deaths and things, but when it becomes a problem that you can't separate reality from fiction and fiction starts affecting your reality then it's time to take a step backwards.

JMHO

• Members

It is the perfect example. The soap fans and fanbases on the Internet constantly overestimate their numbers and are deluded about the extent to which the wider audience that never goes on Internet or post on soap boards share their passion for the soaps, stories, characters and couples.

After all that outrage on the soap boards about GL's cancellation, you would think that hundreds of people would show up at a rally. Instead 30 people show up. It really is only a soap opera and not that important in most people's lives.

• Members

keep in mind that different people, cultures, etc have different ideas about what is acceptable, crazy, etc. My Cuban grandparents think it is lunacy that anyone should watch ANY program for decades so really, we need to stop judging one another's choices. If people want to go NY and protest a cancellation then SO WHAT? As long as no person is being harmed what business is it of anyone? The fact is, different things have different value to different people and just because soaps are tv shows and not objects or people does not mean that people don't mourn them and hard. Let's just be compassionate.

• Members

As much as it's nice to see people rallying being GL, I can't help but wonder why efforts are being directed in this manner and not towards the sponsors and getting people to watch. The bottom line is that you could have 100,000,000 marching and protecting, but it means nothing if those people don't watch and boost the ratings, convince CBS that their money is still being pumped into a show that people want to watch.

• Members

These are the peeps that don't have anyone in real life to mourn over, laugh with, etc. It's actually kind of sad. I remember reading something Heather Tom said where a fan came up to her and told Heather she watches her every day and doesn't understand why Heather doesn't see her looking back. Like really weird!

Archived