Another World

• Members

Victoria Wyndham Pays Tribute to Douglass Watson at the 1989 Daytime Emmys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqZAqVs3pTI

Victoria and Linda both cried all the way through this presentation.

http://www.anotherworldhomepage.com/misc8.html

ANOTHER WORLD: MAC'S SPEECHES

Cory Thanksgiving Speech Givers. Pre-1989: Mac; 1989: Rachel; 1990: Paulina; 1991: Jake; 1992: not shown (only Rachel, Ada, Amanda, Cass, and Frankie in attendance)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAHUJ-MM294

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6pOq29zDwI

Edited by Donna B
spacing

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

As I am watching 1981 unfold in Bay City, it is August.  One thing I notice is how news is delivered.  Jamie (James) Frame finds out from Rachel that Sandy Alexander is a Cory.  The scene is pretty low key.  Not the high drama that comes to Daytime by the time we hit the mid 80's. with dramatic music, super quick dialogue and over the top production.  There is a natural feel about the show.  I find this very refreshing and more authentic today, but at the time in the mid 80's I was younger and enjoyed the over the top melodrama that these shows produced.

• Members

They had such a time of it dealing with the aftermath of Mac's death. Lewis Arlt aka Ken Jordan, a writer who was also an actor who they set up for a romance with Rachel, a poor romance. And that red swan that Mac had had sent to the house! Rachel, Amanda and Matthew were all adrift. Rachel went up northh hunting for the meaning of that red swan.

• Members

The last actor to play Nick, Mark Mortimer...I thought he was so dreamy at the time.

Please register in order to view this content

Did anyone ever figure out what the hell the red swan was? I can't remember. I just remember people looking at it and talking about it. I feel for the writers though. His death was nothing they could prepare for and his character had become the heart of the show, the dad everyone wants. I did end up liking Rachel with Carl after a bit. It was just a tad of stretch these two would end up together, but the chemistry between the actors is what made it work. You could tell they really enjoyed working together. Now, when a mid-50s Rachel became pregnant with TWINS while she had a TUMOR growing in her womb AND she takes a fall on an island and has to have a C-SECTION with no anesthesia on top of a coffee table during a HURRICANE...it just felt like the writers were drunk or high or both..."Let's make this even CRAZIER by..."

• Members

I thought the Red Swan contained the codicil inside that stated Mac had another daughter (Paulina) and that's why people were being led to find it. I don't remember all the details either though. I just thought it was a way Mac was trying to lead people to know there was another daughter out there. Was the codicil actually inside it? I don't remember. I thought it was...but maybe not. 

• Members

The Red Swan was an absolute mess. It highlighted the problem with Swajeski's writing. She had great starts to her stories, but she never knew where to go with them. The RS just fizzled out. Swajeski was the type of writer where the individual episodes would be great, but they would never build on each other. She also had this odd thing about having a cliffhanger on Friday and not resolving until Tuesday or Wednesday. She needed someone with good storytelling/plotting skills to keep her on target.

• Members

I always thought it a shame she and Lemay couldn't work well together because I think she could have helped him adjust to late 80s daytime.. and he could have helped her with connecting the dots idea wise.  I do think Lorna/Felicia being mother/daughter was great idea (though I sometimes wonder if Lisa Grady was meant to be her long lost daughter, but the actress quitting made the show abandon that idea).

• Members

That doesn't sound impossible, but from a story perspective it feels as though the creation of Lorna broadened the story opportunities more. Lisa already had a close family relationship with Felicia, so making her her daughter would serve only to add Lucas to the mix. It seems more likely to me that Lisa was replaced by Jenna in Felicia's life. If Jenna had not been there Lisa would have been the obvious character to feel pushed out by Lorna's arrival.

Edited by Xanthe
trimming quote

• Members

One of my oldest and dearest friends just gave me the most wonderful gift this weekend. We used to have Sunday night chats in the Delphi Soap Opera Form when I ran it. He's done a great deal of organizing, etc. of AW clips & has uploaded as much to YT as has Eddie Drueding or anyone else. Here's what I can share with you. It will open out to be several pages of YT clips. Begins with his text as a preface:

I posted these in another spot.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lorna just seemed to be the preferable choice for Felicia's daughter to me. There were times when I thought they would go with Lisa, times when I thought they would go with Jenna but Lorna seemed "endgame".

Did Swajeski write with Ellen Weston at GL?  I think she wrote some at GL because I think she wrote my absolute favorite Otalia scene. Of course, that would not have been Weston! It would have been Wheeler or Hurst. I asked Jill who wrote it & she told me Swajeski did. The scene I'm thinking of is in the graveyard where Olivia finally just bellows out, unable to hold her feelings back anymore, "I'm in love with you!" And, Natalia ends up replying in kind. If Wheeler or Hurst had written it I think Jill would have told me. Every night Jill & Wheeler went over Otalia's lines for the next day. They were that devoted to that couple. Of course, that writing team was doing so much work, so fast, every day, that they were crazed.

Oh, sorry, I fell back into talking about GL again! My oops. We were talking about AW.

Edited by Donna B
Draw a line.